Respected Contributor

Re: How To Overwhelm A System And Increasing Chances Of Mistakes

On 10/30/2014 NoelSeven said: It's odd that some people here want anyone that ever came near Africa or an ebola patient quarantined, yet they refuse to get a flu shot to protect people around them.

Excellent point.

Maybe those who don't get flu shots and have been around/near people with the flu should be quarantined, too.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

As many people know, getting a flu shot is not a guarantee that you won't get sick with the flu anyway. There is at least one person on this thread who lamented last year that she in fact did get very sick despite religiously getting her shot.

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Qwackertoo said:

more info

Rapidly screening for Ebola at U.S. hospitals has just gotten easier thanks to military-funded technology. Salt Lake City-based BioFire announced over the weekend that they had received emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration for hospital workers to use their polymerase chain reaction (PCR) screening machine, the FilmArray, to screen for Ebola.

It’s the same machine that the U.S. military is using to fight the disease in Africa. But until Saturday, the FDA approved FilmArray for Ebola screening for research purposes only in U.S. hospitals.

The Dallas hospital that treated Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who became the first individual to die of Ebola in the United States, but was not authorized to use it to test patients showing symptoms of Ebola.

- See more at: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2014/10/28/New-Rapid-Test-Ebola-Gets-FDA-Approval#sthash.ZkQAO6Mt.dpuf

That's wonderful!

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 straykatz said:

Examples shared by those attending the meeting include:

—An Ohio patient who thought she had Ebola because her husband had worked in Dallas, but not with the Ebola patient.

—A New Mexico woman who sought ER testing for Ebola because she had visited Africa two years ago.

—Two Alabama patients who worried they were infected after traveling through an airport in Atlanta, the same city where Ebola patients were treated.

Extreme examples.....I don't think these are the norm....while most people I know have concerns about the "possible" spread of this disease they are not worrying or thinking they have it when there was ZERO risk on their part....in fact....I work not far from the Dallas hospital where Duncan was 1st treated and eventually died.

I agree with you straykatz. I have no concern whatsoever that I will get it. My concern all along has been for healthcare workers. (That and the quarantine issue).

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 10/30/2014 Marp2 said:
On 10/30/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

How about doing what is possible first?

Start with Public Service Messages that educate people. I would think that would be more effective than telling people to get flu shots when many don't want them.

That has been tried and failed miserably.

Yes it has. We see examples here every day.

It worked with cigarettes. When the PSAs started showing people with lung cancer it changed the way Americans perceived smokers and smoking.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 ILikeShade said:

As many people know, getting a flu shot is not a guarantee that you won't get sick with the flu anyway. There is at least one person on this thread who lamented last year that she in fact did get very sick despite religiously getting her shot.

Quarantine is not 100 percent effective either, as we have seen. You want others to do what they can to protect you, yet you refuse to help protect those around you. No Golden Rule for you.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Marp2 said:

How about doing what is possible first?

Start with Public Service Messages that educate people. I would think that would be more effective than telling people to get flu shots when many don't want them.

That has been tried and failed miserably.

Yes it has. We see examples here every day.

It worked with cigarettes. When the PSAs started showing people with lung cancer it changed the way Americans perceived smokers and smoking.

It took years and years to work, though.
Respected Contributor

Quarantine is not 100 percent effective either, as we have seen. You want others to do what they can to protect you, yet you refuse to help protect those around you. No Golden Rule for you.

I refuse? As I stated already on another thread that YOU were on, I did get a flu shot just a few weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

I refuse? As I stated already on another thread that YOU were on, I did get a flu shot just a few weeks ago.

Your story has changed now that you're in a catch 22. But don't worry, you're not alone in refusing to get vaccinated.
Respected Contributor

Your story has changed now that you're in a catch 22. But don't worry, you're not alone in refusing to get vaccinated.

My story has changed now? Wow! I stated a few weeks ago that I went to a Walgreens that has a clinic....not all have them and I liked the privacy of their private rooms. Yes, I did get a flu shot Noel.

eta: I also recognize there's about 60% efficacy.