Honored Contributor

Re: How Soon Before Baby is Born Should You Give A Gift? Opinions Please

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Here's a question . . . slightly OT.

At the shower, do you think the mom-to-be should open the presents right then and there . . . or just take the wrapped presents home?

I've seen it done both ways, and prefer to see the gifts opened at the shower.  But some of these showers are huge these days, and maybe in that case, the gifts should not be opened at the shower because of the time involved?

The new thing is "be a dear and wrap in clear" so they don't need to be opened, but they don't get passed around for every one to see.
I will be going to a baby shower sometime in the near future, baby isn't due until October and I'm already working on a quilt for the baby.  I am not wrapping it in clear - I want it to be opened and seen - a little selfish on my part, probably...

@CelticCrafter

Ha ha, how cute!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My close friends (and even relatives that are near-by) are too old to have children.  I have one daughter left who isn't married but who knows!

Anyway, I always have a dear friend of mine who's amazing at knitting and crocheting make afghans for babies of people I encounter on a regular basis.  Right now she is in the process of knitting or crocheting (I leave it up to her on which she does and give her some basic direction about color) an afghan.  She has amazing taste and I feel like it would be like crushing her creativity to tell her what colors to make it.  She often makes (i.e. crochets, knits, stuffed animals) that go with the afghan.

The one she's working on now is for a young woman who is a waitress at a restaurant my friend and I eat at often.  That's the only time I see this young woman.  

Normally, this friend who makes the afghans never meets the people she makes them for.  However, the other day she got to meet the young woman.  It was fun.  

My friend just finished (and I mailed it off) an afghan for a friend of my daughter who is about to deliver any minute.  My daughter lives in Denver.  I've never met her friend.

As soon as the friend finishes the afghan I mail it out.  By the time I've heard about the pregnancy the person is usually several months along and knows all is well.  Maybe that's the difference between waiting until the baby is born and before.

I just love giving people things and these afghans serve a more than one purpose.  My friend is ALWAYS creating something.  She doesn't usually sell them because people don't want to pay for something that takes time (and money).  I guess (she says) I way overpay her but as someone who used to do this, I know the work involved.  So, this gives her some 'free' money.  This is a gift of love to a dear baby who will always know it came from someone they'll probably never meet, and so on.  After all, can you think of a better gift than one that comes from a stranger who has only good wishes for the baby the mom will love more than her life?  Can ya'?  

Now, as far as giving them early.  A friend I've given 2 afghans to recently miscarried after 3 months.  We hugged, cried and she said she'd wait a few months and try again.  I haven't seen her in about 2 months but my guess is her plan is moving along.  Ha!  She'll have an afghan probably 6 or 7 months from now.  She said she can't wait to see the colors....

If a gift is given with love (and I think it's after maybe 5 months or so) why not?  I don't know how others think but  by then you are starting to have so many 'what the hay did I do, I feel like a blimp, will I ever be thin again, how am I going to afford this' and on and on.  Getting gifts for the baby helps a mom to look forward to meeting the baby.

There are so few times in a woman's life where SHE is the center of attention.  Baby shower, wedding (and am I missing something) is about it.  Why not go to them and share in the happiness?  To each their own......

Phew!  I've written a book here.  My point is (like I said) having a baby is a wonderful time.  If your heart is in the right place (as far as gifts) and it is far enough along when you AND the mom feels right, give the gosh darn gift.  Give the woman something tangible that says, "I'm a goona be a mom and this is for MY baby"......

Honored Contributor

@LexPex

What's the hurry?   Since up to 25% of pregnancies may end in miscarriage, IMO, wait until the baby takes its first breath.   It's really horrible to have to return baby gifts after losing a child. 

If you're having dinner with this couple, can't you just be enthusiastic and happy for them?

BTW ......  what the heck are "crib shoes"?    Are these actually functional, or just some decorative thing?   Since this is a first baby, I would skip the frou frou stuff and spend money on  something they can actually use.   JMO

Respected Contributor

I purchase a gift from baby registry and take to baby shower.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all of your opinion.  I think I will go with the majority of you and keep the crib shoes until later.

Crib shoes are not practical.  For the most part they are for babies size 0-9 motns and do come in sizes that reflect that.  The baby is just "stylin" with crib shoes.

Honestly, in the baby showers I have been to in the past year they get tons of gifts.  In the case of this couple, I will be purchasing either a highchair, baby moniter, bouncer etc which I would never give now. .

Also I have never been to a shower where people did not open their gifts and there were perhaps 80 gifts given in the last shower I attended.

I think it must be the part of the country that I live (near Boston) because wedding showers, baby showers, sprinkle showers are all over the top  Just the way it is

Honored Contributor

@LexPex wrote:

Thanks for all of your opinion.  I think I will go with the majority of you and keep the crib shoes until later.

Crib shoes are not practical.  For the most part they are for babies size 0-9 motns and do come in sizes that reflect that.  The baby is just "stylin" with crib shoes.

Honestly, in the baby showers I have been to in the past year they get tons of gifts.  In the case of this couple, I will be purchasing either a highchair, baby moniter, bouncer etc which I would never give now. .

Also I have never been to a shower where people did not open their gifts and there were perhaps 80 gifts given in the last shower I attended.

I think it must be the part of the country that I live (near Boston) because wedding showers, baby showers, sprinkle showers are all over the top  Just the way it is

@LexPex

There's such a thing as a sprinkle shower?   Seriously?

Honored Contributor

Call me the odd woman out, but I love gift giving and look for opportunities to do these random acts of kindness.  Since you are close with this couple, I think it would be perfectlly fine, even appropriate considering your relationship, to give them a little gift when you see them, as a way to celebrate their joy with them.  You can get something from their registry if they have a shower later on.  

Honored Contributor

Per Google:

During the second pregnancy, moms likely aren't expecting to be "showered" with gifts. More than a shower, they simply need a light sprinkle – gifts to complement the baby items they already own. Baby sprinkles are a popular new way for friends and family to celebrate baby's impending arrival.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I learn something from this forum every single day.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN