Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: How Soon Before Baby is Born Should You Give A Gift? Opinions Please

I never heard anyone ever say that they don't believe in baby showers? Lol.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@LexPex,     If you are invited to the shower, I would wait and bring your gift to the shower.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would wait until either the shower or until after the baby is born.

To the person who asked about why wait: Yes, it's in the event the woman miscarries or something happens during the birth. Both have happened to me and having to return gifts....very emotional to do.

My Jewish friends would NOT accept gifts until after the baby and mother were home. I'm honestly not sure if this a cultural thing or just being cautious. In any event, I know more and more women who prefer to not have a shower until after the birth; granted, they are also much older so....there may be many reasons for choosing to do this.

Respected Contributor

My mother in law gave me a suprise shower a month before my first was born.  I had no idea she had planned it.

I am superstitiious and wouldn't have wanted it had I known.

Actually, we were as poor as church mice , so it was a good thing.

I don't buy for others, unless requested by the mother, until after the birth.

Maybe it is a Jewish thing??

Super Contributor

@sahmlam ---- i'm so sorry that happened to you. 🙁🙏

My mom didn't believe in baby showers either, for the same reasons as sahlam stated, although she did attend them when invited. I would wait until after the baby shower or if she doesn't have a baby shower, then I'd wait until after the baby is born. Someone suggested giving the mom to be a bouquet of blue flowers when you go to dinner. I think that's a great idea.
Regular Contributor

@LexPex

I would ....

1. Give a gift ONLY if they are already listed with a gift registry (ask them Smiley Happy ),

Or

2. I would wait until they have a Baby Shower

Or,

3. I would wait until AFTER the baby was born.

Years ago, when a good friend was pregnant with her 1st baby, I was sooooooo excited and happy for her, that I bought her baby and her a lot of gifts! I bought cuuuuute baby clothes, and a gorgeous Baby's First Album, and a baby picture frame. I was a poor college student at the time, but just so happy for her. I spent a ton on gorgeous gift wrapping, etc. 

A few days BEFORE I was going to bring her the gifts, she went into premature labor, and they lost the baby. I was devestated for them. And I felt so thankful I had NOT given them the gifts, as I could only imagine how much more pain that may have caused them.

Your heart is in a good place, butI would suggest you not give them a baby gift UNLESS you know they would be welcome at this time. JMO. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Here's a question . . . slightly OT.

At the shower, do you think the mom-to-be should open the presents right then and there . . . or just take the wrapped presents home?

I've seen it done both ways, and prefer to see the gifts opened at the shower.  But some of these showers are huge these days, and maybe in that case, the gifts should not be opened at the shower because of the time involved?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

At the shower, do you think the mom-to-be should open the presents right then and there . . . or just take the wrapped presents home?

I've seen it done both ways, and prefer to see the gifts opened at the shower.  But some of these showers are huge these days, and maybe in that case, the gifts should not be opened at the shower because of the time involved?

The new thing is "be a dear and wrap in clear" so they don't need to be opened, but they don't get passed around for every one to see.
I will be going to a baby shower sometime in the near future, baby isn't due until October and I'm already working on a quilt for the baby.  I am not wrapping it in clear - I want it to be opened and seen - a little selfish on my part, probably...

Honored Contributor

I give a gift before baby is born or after, which ever is best for me.

If i live far from the expecting couple for me it would be easier to give gift when i would be meeting up with this couple (dinner, shopping, movies--whatever meet up is). this would save postage and possible losing item in the mail.

If couple lives close to me, i usually wait till baby is born. either i visit in hospital or after mom-baby are home (wait a couple of weeks to see new baby).

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

The new thing is "be a dear and wrap in clear" so they don't need to be opened, but they don't get passed around for every one to see.
I will be going to a baby shower sometime in the near future, baby isn't due until October and I'm already working on a quilt for the baby.  I am not wrapping it in clear - I want it to be opened and seen - a little selfish on my part, probably...

@CelticCrafter

The only baby showers I expect to be invited to would be those of my grandchildren.  But even my 28-year-old granddaughter is showing absolutely no interest in getting married . . . she is focusing on her career in fashion design.  She has indicated a desire to adopt one day though and said she would do so whether she was married or not.

At my age, funerals are probably the only occasions left to attend, LOL!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986