Valued Contributor

How Soon Before Baby is Born Should You Give A Gift? Opinions Please

A little history.  I do not believe in baby showers....I did not want one with any of my three children and if someone gave me a gift I put it in a closet without opening it.  Superstitious??  Yes unfortunately.  I will however go to baby showers and my DD had one.

We are meeting a couple who is very close to us for dinner next weekend.  They are expecting their first, a boy.  I wanted to get them a little something to give when we saw them so I ordered IZOD crib shoes

They are only 20 weeks and now I am hesitant....

Do you give gifts early....before the shower?

TIA for opinions

Honored Contributor

Re: How Soon Before Baby is Born Should You Give A Gift? Opinions Please

wait until the kid arrives

also crib shoes?  why do they need shoes for the crib

Honored Contributor

I too would wait until the baby arrives.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@LexPex wrote:

A little history.  I do not believe in baby showers....I did not want one with any of my three children and if someone gave me a gift I put it in a closet without opening it.  Superstitious??  Yes unfortunately.  I will however go to baby showers and my DD had one.

We are meeting a couple who is very close to us for dinner next weekend.  They are expecting their first, a boy.  I wanted to get them a little something to give when we saw them so I ordered IZOD crib shoes

TIA for opinions

@LexPex wrote:

TIA for opinions

@LexPex wrote:

TIA for opinions

Yes I give a gift before the baby is born, many couples have gift registries to choose from or if you're a good listener you can pretty much figure out what they like through conversation. Both my mother and mother in law were superstitious about giving gifts before a baby was born.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I would wait until the shower or after the baby is bornšŸ£

Honored Contributor

If they have a shower but you choose not to go, you can give them a gift after the shower but if there is no shower....wait until the baby arrives.  If you must do something now, send a lovely bouquet of blue flowers.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's just too early for a gift at this point. I would wait until the shower or when you go to visit bring the gift then.

Super Contributor

Have I been living under a rock???  I have never heard of this before...not giving gifts before a shower or the baby is born??  Is this in case they lose the baby?  I got a few gifts before my baby shower.  I didn't think anything of it, other than appreciative.

Honored Contributor

@LexPex wrote:

TIA for opinions

@LexPex - I have been to two showers in the past month - one DD's college roommate, and one family. Ordinarily I would agree that gifts should be saved for the shower.

HOWEVER since you are close to this couple, I think it's wonderful of you to want to give them a little something when you see them. The crib shoes sound precious! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I agree with the OP, I dislike everything about baby showers, gender reveal parties are even worse. I wouldn't give a gift prior to the baby's birthday.