Honored Contributor

Re: How Sad !! what are people thinking ???

[ Edited ]

I never understood people that said when I was little we never locked our door.  It's like they think crime was not invented in those days.  

In the mid 1950's a woman with a toddler (girl) and a boy (baby in a stroller) went in the grocery stores, leaving both children outside.  When she came back out, baby boy was missing.  They never found the boy.  The mother was not charged with anything.  I guessed they figure losing one child was enough punishment.  I can't believe people were that stupid.  I don't care what time you were around.  

There will be a film out soon about an early serial killer H.H. Holmes.  He killed over 100 men and women.  He ran a boarding house (a favorite occupation for serials killers then...the victims came to the killer  This was the 1890's.  With the invention of the car, the killer came to the victims.  But the point was crime was always around.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

The lack of affordable child care for low paid workers is criminal in itself.

For some it seems to be very important to them that other people suffer as much as possible just to live. According to that mindset, ensuring there was affordable child care would make things too easy on poor people.

What was that about forum lecturers...?  Smiley Wink

You've name called that at me so often it's lost any relevance for me. Along with all the other insults. I'm well aware how much you disapprove of everything I have to say.

So...what now? I'm not going to change and neither are you. You're not going to suddenly become tolerant of my views. And I will never relate to your letter to the editor style of disagreement. I will try to remain civil but that's the best I can do for you. Again, be well.

I very rarely even direct comments your way any more nor do you to me and that's probably for the best. Agree, we each have our own styles and points of view and that's not likely to change. Nor should it. I don't see 'a cause' aound every corner and have no plans to start doing so. You are, of course, free to do so if you wish. Again, we rarely interact anyway so yes, civil is good.  Take care.

If you ever directly say something geniunely nice to me and use the @ symbol to get my attention, I promise to respond. Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

The lack of affordable child care for low paid workers is criminal in itself.

@Free2be   I agree 100%.

However, in this situation the woman was not working; she was picking up a friend.

The OP did not give all the details so a discussion about affordable child care is not an issue here, although definitely worthy of another discussion.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird :  Wasn't H.H.Holmes the killer featured in Devil in the White City by Erik Larson?Loved that book!

Valued Contributor

There are simple mistakes, and then there are mistakes.  To me this is beyond a huge mistake that implies that this mother thinks that leaving a baby unattended in a vehicle is ok.  It is not.  I hope authorities will investigate/monitor her further to be sure that this child will be safe.  If she's so casual about leaving an infant alone in a car with keys, who knows how else this child is neglected?  Always err on the side of caution when innocent children are involved.  

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@songbird :  Wasn't H.H.Holmes the killer featured in Devil in the White City by Erik Larson?Loved that book!

Yes.  The same.  I read the rights to a film about Holmes has been option for a film.  Holmes killed most people (mostly women) when he ran a hotel during the World's Fair in Chicago.

In the 1790's another serial killer (really a family) operated I think in VA.  But I'm not sure. They were a German immigrant family.  They purchased a large house and used it as an inn.  Attention was drawn to them when a Seneter's younger brother disappeared while traveling.  Another prolific serial killer was a man that operated from trains in the south east during the turn of the 20th century.  He was never caught. He would sneak/break in to houses and ill the occupants. 

Honored Contributor

I'm the OP, I still haven't gotten my problem straightened out yet. I called the DMV and spoke to someone who was considerate, informative, and told me what I have to do, how refreshing. I told him how much I appreciated his help and how kind he was. I told him about my previous experience, he apologized to me. I will also add I got through right away, hardly had a wait. I will be making an appointment to deal with this in person.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm the OP, I still haven't gotten my problem straightened out yet. I called the DMV and spoke to someone who was considerate, informative, and told me what I have to do, how refreshing. I told him how much I appreciated his help and how kind he was. I told him about my previous experience, he apologized to me. I will also add I got through right away, hardly had a wait. I will be making an appointment to deal with this in person.

@Jordan2 

Wrong thread. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 

Wrong thread. Smiley Happy

@Sushismom I am so sorry, I have a tablet that jumps around when I click on something it can go to something else!

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched so many true crime shoes, e.g., ID, Forensic Files, etc, where the people in a particular town say "this just doesn't happen here". Well, yes, it does happen anywhere and it just did. I think there is sometimes a complacency with people thinking their home town is a safe place and nothing bad could possibly happen. The reality is that crime can happen anywhere.