Respected Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Won't Eat That."?

Image result for julia child quote on moderation

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to say that I could never eat cilantro. It actually made me sick to my stomach, and I couldn't figure out why. We had an Indian friend who served us most courses with cilantro, and by the end of the meal I was pretty much in misery. I did some research and found out that some people are physically averse to cilantro. I also read that you could teach your body to accept cilantro. I've been aclimating myself slowly and can now eat it without any bad reactions.

Respected Contributor

I detest fish.  Fresh water or any kind of sea fish makes me gag.  I also hate, hate, hate broccoli.  Blech, gag.  I can't even stand the smell of fish or broccoli cooking. 

Honored Contributor

I think I must be a picky eater. Lacto - Ovo-Vegetarian + somethings just turn me off.

Guess I say it often to myself, but not out loud, I just don't choose or cook what I don't eat.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

There are way too many foods that I refuse to eat because of the texture mostly -- beans, sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes come to mind immediately.  I don't like cooked fruit pies or traditional pie crusts.  The list goes on and on.  

Luckily, I am up for most vegetables and like fish.  Unfortunately, I also like many unhealthy meals even more.  It's a constant struggle.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I say no to a lot of things.   

I definitely don't eat casseroles or anything made with canned soups or vegetables.   I don't like the texture of frozen meats and chicken either

I can't drink smoothies or milk shakes.   I just find the texture revolting.  Lol

And here I thought I was the only weirdo who doesn't care for frozen meat. I don't like frozen processed meals or pizzas either.

@Bri36

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I say no to a lot of things.   

I definitely don't eat casseroles or anything made with canned soups or vegetables.   I don't like the texture of frozen meats and chicken either

I can't drink smoothies or milk shakes.   I just find the texture revolting.  Lol

And here I thought I was the only weirdo who doesn't care for frozen meat. I don't like frozen processed meals or pizzas either.

@Bri36

So funny, @tansy

I don't really eat frozen pizza.  I have, but it doesn't bother me.  LOL

Freezing just changes the texture of food, IMO. 

I probably wouldn't make a good astronaut either.  LOL

Contributor

I love this topic!  I am super picky, and I am not at all proud of it, wish I could just sit down, and "tuck in", but I am very turned off by weird "off" textures, like gristle in ground beef - it's a total meal killer for me, as is slimy lettuce, gritty vegtables, veins in chicken, etc.

I also can't get into fish ... yuck.  Hubs is okay with it ...

Honored Contributor

Even though I am following WW, there are some food items I am allowed to eat or care to eat from time to time.  So this morning I had to fast last night for blood tests this a.m.  I was hungry and stopped at McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin and coffee.  I decided I would sit in the car and eat the sandwich.  I open it up and it's not my sandwich.  If these kids would stop joking around and concentrate on what they are doing - I was P_____ off.  So I go inside and talk to the manager and none of the Breakfast food was made.  He had to wait around the corner for mine.  I saw him throw in a hash brown which I did not eat.  Hash Browns and Fries are tossed in hot oil and probably the worse thing you can eat.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Enjoyed reading your replies. I agree with Jill -- I'm a picky eater. So is my sis. We've decided growing up with a dad who grew up poor on an Appalachian farm with many siblings and mom who died when he was a toddler, meant they ate everything they grew, raised or that roamed their fields. In my home, dad was the main cook since my mom died when I was young. Oh, mercy me, we had strange foods. No wonder I weighed 105 pounds in high school and college. Ha. Organ meats, pickled pigs feet in jars, always strange huge bones in any soup or navy bean pot, Vienna sausages and sardines in cans. So much fried stuff. Yes, and those awful oysters (but not really oysters). I'd hide the jar of pickled pigs feet in the back of the fridge when friends were over. I don't try a lot of new foods. Not a lot of fun for my husband. He had to eat fried alligator by himself in Arizona....   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau