Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Buy the Cheapest Thing?

Myth: you get what you pay for.

Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on the product. I have no problem buying cheaper if it meets my needs/wants.  

Trusted Contributor

Such an interesting question.  One of my husbands previous managers had a saying "Good can be Cheap but Cheap is not always Good"

This week my microwave died so I checked my local independent appliance store and the Big Box retailers.  They both had what might appear to be the same microwave: Whirlpool model WMH32519HV.  Independent store $449/big box $249. 

HMMM why the cost difference.  When you google that part number you find there is a YWMH32519HV and one without the Y in front.  Independent store has the one with the Y in front which offers a few more features and better wattage for cooking. 

It pays to do additional research outside of price there may be a real reason for the price difference.  I purchased the model from my indepenent appliance store - Yes I paid more but it gives me an exact replacement for the one I had for 12 years and I know I will get service from the store if needed.  My fear was if I purchased the cheaper model it would die within a few years which is my experience when I purchase from the Big Box store vs the Indepentent.  

Respected Contributor

Not very often at all.
Respected Contributor

Depends

Trusted Contributor

My local dollar general still has an aisle that has products for only $1 !  I love it as I find good brand cleaning supplies there super happy! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Pretty much never.....my mom always taught me it is better to buy"quality" instead of quantity...so i never minded paying more for something that would  last