Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Buy the Cheapest Thing?

(thread title)

@Sooner 

My method of buying anything, even before I was an adult? I never look for the cheapest or the highest $$$ when considering any purchase. I look for specifics I want in whatever it might be.

From there it is the value per $$ spent, which of course, always includes the reliability and longevity of my purchase. Many have called me cheap(and worse), I always use the word frugal.

What some may consider cheap? I consider the source, and much of the time, they know very little about the specifics of my purchases.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Like many of the others have stated..... It depends on the item.  

Big ticket items, I go for what I want.  Like a new car, I get the color I want plus the accessories I want.  Doesn't mean though that we don't negotiate for the price.  We will have the salesman play the game and go back and forth to run it by his boss in the manager's office a few times before we sign on the dotted line.  Plus, we also joke that they have to throw in the floor mats.

Same thoughts with new appliances.  We select the brand we want along with the model we want.  We try to get the best deal we can but ultimately won't scrimp on the quality we want.

Now everyday expenses like groceries, we usually buy what is on sale unless we definitely want a certain brand.  Like if we want cola, we will buy Pepsi or Coke, whichever is on sale that week.  Same thing with cookies.  One week usually Keebler is on sale and the next week Nabisco is on sale, so we buy accordingly.  Mayo?  Hellmann's or Kraft, same scenario.  Peanut butter....That can have a 3 way dilemma..... Jif, Peter Pan or Skippy.  And so on.....

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

Nope but must be within my means and a good value for me.  I will buy BD on sale but not a penny on SG polyester pants.  Each purchase is a personal choice and the value it has to the purchaser. A car has always been a mode of transportation not a status symbol to me but a BIL needs a very high end car.  

I am alone, (kids scattered) retired and love to be home so don't needs lots of clothes, have enough for any occasion.  I love and go high end on my electronics,  preference is Apple,  big screen TV and grocery delivery.  Spoiling grands is fun too.

With inflation and rising prices I am more careful how I spend.  It has to be a need (like food) not a want.

Honored Contributor

Depends on circumstances.

• For instance - buying a container grapes or olives.  Same size container, filled to top..

• Or - a package of meat cut for stir-fry.  All the same size packages.

I'll almost always buy the cheapest.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I always buy the cheapest toothpicks.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL me too!

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

A friend funeral director told us that they have prices= high, middle and low. They sell more middle price than any. So if the high is real high then the middle can be a little higher- but in relation to the higher price it is acceptable to clients. 

My sister thinks if it is on sale its a deal. To know if it's a deal you need to know the price before it went on sale. 

@granddi 

Funeral parlors (and I have famiily members in the business) and IMHO, is the biggest ripoff there is.  They prey on others' suffering.

Esteemed Contributor

Not often enough.  In the past when I bought cheap , it did not always work out. I also bought expensive and had some lemons with expensive items- go figure

Honored Contributor

Quality is priority over cost, but I will compare prices for the quality item.  Also quality over quantity.  I would like rather have one good handbag than 10 of lesser quality.  I always look for value,

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn: The last 3 acres we bought,the broker told me I knew good value.

I worked in R&D in a world wide multibillion dollar facility and I saw how products are developed and sold and I think that has helped me to know good value.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

I definitely go for quality and hardly ever look for cheapest. Some things on QVC actually meet my standards! Smiley Happy

Rarely do I look at food prices, but I may grab things I would normally use if they are on sale.

The only thing we do not buy new are cars. DH knows too much about them, and we both don't like the immediate depreciation.