Honored Contributor

How Often Do You Buy the Cheapest Thing?

Honestly?  I couldn't really say.  I often look for a better price but certainly not always.  Especially with groceries and things I buy often.  Eggs? No.  I buy what I think is the best quality but not the most expensive or the cheapest.

Clothing?  If I see something new, not on sale, but that I know I will wear a lot and like, I often just buy it--no sale needed because the value is there.

Cars?  I buy the one I want at what to me is a fair deal, but don't hold out for the exact color I want always.  

So I just thought it would be interesting to see how others think about price.  And insight might be helpful in some ways.  

I will pay more money for a good quality kitchen sink or a faucet, working things that we use all the time.  Stove, oven or something like that. Something that should work better and maybe last a little longer. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Buy the Cheapest Thing?

Never.

Honored Contributor

Never.  

Honored Contributor

Never 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

I go by the old saying---"you get what you pay for".  If something is cheap its not going to last, so in the long run it pays to spend more, and buy something of better quality since that will hold up better and its going to last you longer.......

You also have to watch it and pay more attention to quality these days, because some high priced items are now made with cheap materials and they're counting on their well known brand name to make the sale, even though based on quality it may not be worth the price being charged!

As far as groceries----it depends---some store brands are just as good or better as the more expensive named brands----(ice cream, milk, eggs, toilet paper, etc.), but other items are not---One time I bought the store brand frozen green beans that had lots of stems---I should have paid more and got Green Giant or Bird's Eye......Some of their potato chips are downright awful!

Today its know your products and BUYER BEWARE!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Almost always.  Many people do not have any other option.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   I've learned along the way that the cheapest thing is not the best thing for me.  I've had heels break off a brand new pair of shoes, holes appearing in a brand new coat & a dishwasher sprayiing all over heck after 2 uses - for me I've found out I get what I pay for.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never ever go cheap on paper products but living alone makes me more willing to  to without or less.  Such as no cable antenna t.v. is fine for just me.  I do calculate if I will get more use out of the more expensive item as well.  But since my retirement plans all stem on me and only me I do not go to high price items.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Sooner    I know I do not always buy the least expensive of many purchases, but always have a good understanding of what I am spending and where those dollars are coming from.   I kind of dollar-cost average my whole buying life the way financial advisors recommend dollar-cost averaging as we build up our retirement funds over years and years.

Right now, I'm bent on buying updated technology, so I'm not adding much at all in the way of jewelry, clothing, handbags, or knickknacks.  Could I still do both?  It goes against my grain to try, so I just don't.  It's working well so far.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Honestly?  I couldn't really say.  I often look for a better price but certainly not always.  Especially with groceries and things I buy often.  Eggs? No.  I buy what I think is the best quality but not the most expensive or the cheapest.

Clothing?  If I see something new, not on sale, but that I know I will wear a lot and like, I often just buy it--no sale needed because the value is there.

Cars?  I buy the one I want at what to me is a fair deal, but don't hold out for the exact color I want always.  

So I just thought it would be interesting to see how others think about price.  And insight might be helpful in some ways.  

I will pay more money for a good quality kitchen sink or a faucet, working things that we use all the time.  Stove, oven or something like that. Something that should work better and maybe last a little longer. 

I love to find a good deal and then tell people about it lol