Honored Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Junk Removers

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I wouldn't tip them anything, I'm paying for them to do a job and moving junk is not a personal service like getting my hair done.  It's a one time job that you pay for.  We aren't require to tip every time we pay someone to do something for us.

That's a good point @chrystaltree!  I tipped the people who moved the junk out of my father's house so just started thinking maybe I should tip these guys.  My father's house was a huge job, though, and we used them several different times while getting his house ready to sell.  That was a different situation than this is.  I'm sure I'll tip them something though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to tip people who work for companies. Recently I had a queen-sized mattress delivered - upstairs to my master bedroom. There were 2 guys - and I gave each $5. I just had lots of tile work done in my home --- shower stall/bathtub, floor in bathroom area and walk-in closet - and last week 2 guys tiled my staircase. I gave several of them big tips - depending on the work they did. Tiling is HARD WORK. I'd say at least $20 each ---- and if they are very pleasant and do a good job -- throw in a little more. They appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

Hand them each $10 and tell them to have lunch on you.

Sounds like an easy job and will take them no time at all.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  Think tipping is getting out of control.we had movers charge us 20,000 for the whole house and I don't feel any need to tip after that cost.I have a hairdresser that I tip well so that she will take care with my hair but I dont feel the need to tip others who have done say yard work or pruning.We tip at a restaurant but I think that a five to ten dollar tip there should be max.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

That's what I was thinking.  You mentioned you had to look in some of the boxes.  If that slows them up, double the tip.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I wouldn't tip them anything, I'm paying for them to do a job and moving junk is not a personal service like getting my hair done.  It's a one time job that you pay for.  We aren't require to tip every time we pay someone to do something for us.

Tipping seems to be common in certain parts of the country.  I'm glad I don't live there.  I don't tip a worker unless he does some above and beyond what I hired him to do.  If he's just doing his job, his employer can pay him. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

That's what I was thinking.  You mentioned you had to look in some of the boxes.  If that slows them up, double the tip.

@GCR18  I don't think my looking in the boxes will make things go slower.  I would just have to take the lid off and glance in to see what was inside.  I can do that while they're loading other boxes.  I just need to be in the garage with them the whole time so they don't take anything I want to keep.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I think I used the same company as you: *-***-Got-Junk?  If not, then ignore what I'm about to type.

We used them a few years ago. Their add and commercial state it will cost XYZ and to call for an estimate/appointment. We didn't have that much stuff; everything was in one room, nothing in boxes. I told them the largest items that had to go (a cheap step machine and cheap exercise bike, broken bits and pieces of toys, mini blinds, bags of large trash (that we bagged as we cleaned, nothing hazardous) and assorted junk. They informed us they have 1 size of truck and that if the stuff went about the painted blue line inside the truck, then it was an extra hundred PER each line (they have dotted lines that go around the truck in 3 inch heights....an extra hundred PER line). I said ok, there isn't that much stuff, no problem.

Now, I had an Excursion and could have fit the stuff in the back of it in 2 maybe 3 loads.  If you know the size of an Excursion than you'll understand how SHOCKED I was when they drove up in a TINY truck and the blue line was HALF WAY UP THE INSIDE of the truck. NOW I understand how they made their money with such "cheap" prices. I was pregnant, husband was on a trip and the house had sold so this stuff HAD to go. I didn't have a choice at that point.

I watched how they packed it in; they made sure to place items in the truck in the most costly manner possible. In other words, take up as much space as possible so it's "filled" up very quickly. In the end, that junk removal cost me $500. No, I didn't give them a tip.  I DID tell every person I knew about how their tactics and was ticked off to find how many complaints there were for the exact same reason.

Never. Again.

BTW. Whenever I've had to move stuff, I "hire" my sons buddies, buy them pizza, pay them $100 and then $10 each as a tip. Trust me, it's an easy as pie job and they're fed, happy and have spending money in their pocket.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

we had movers charge us 20,000 for the whole house

What the.....??????

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@NickNack  I think I used the same company as you: *-***-Got-Junk?  If not, then ignore what I'm about to type.

We used them a few years ago. Their add and commercial state it will cost XYZ and to call for an estimate/appointment. We didn't have that much stuff; everything was in one room, nothing in boxes. I told them the largest items that had to go (a cheap step machine and cheap exercise bike, broken bits and pieces of toys, mini blinds, bags of large trash (that we bagged as we cleaned, nothing hazardous) and assorted junk. They informed us they have 1 size of truck and that if the stuff went about the painted blue line inside the truck, then it was an extra hundred PER each line (they have dotted lines that go around the truck in 3 inch heights....an extra hundred PER line). I said ok, there isn't that much stuff, no problem.

Now, I had an Excursion and could have fit the stuff in the back of it in 2 maybe 3 loads.  If you know the size of an Excursion than you'll understand how SHOCKED I was when they drove up in a TINY truck and the blue line was HALF WAY UP THE INSIDE of the truck. NOW I understand how they made their money with such "cheap" prices. I was pregnant, husband was on a trip and the house had sold so this stuff HAD to go. I didn't have a choice at that point.

I watched how they packed it in; they made sure to place items in the truck in the most costly manner possible. In other words, take up as much space as possible so it's "filled" up very quickly. In the end, that junk removal cost me $500. No, I didn't give them a tip.  I DID tell every person I knew about how their tactics and was ticked off to find how many complaints there were for the exact same reason.

Never. Again.

BTW. Whenever I've had to move stuff, I "hire" my sons buddies, buy them pizza, pay them $100 and then $10 each as a tip. Trust me, it's an easy as pie job and they're fed, happy and have spending money in their pocket.

@SahmIam  That sounds like a horrible experience!  That's not the company I'm using.  It's a local company that is in this city only.  Although I don't completely trust Angie's List, they did get great reviews.

The company that I used to empty the junk in my father's basement (in a different city) did a great job.  They completely filled their truck to the brim.  They put the items on one side that they would donate and the other side they would trash.  It was a tremendous job, and I think they charged $350.  I gave both of them a generous tip.  I actually felt like they undercharged me.  I doubt I'll feel that way about this company.  They were unusual.

-Henry David Thoreau