Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Use Your Cell?

I really only use my cell for urgent calls. I need it to be available so that my mother can reach me when I dash out, as I am her caregiver. I might call home if I am shopping to see if we need any carrots, onions, milk, etc. I don't know why I have a smart phone. I really don't use its features.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I only use use my cell when I am out and about and need to make a call. I hate being on the phone.  I usually keep mine turned off.  I wouldn't even have one, but my husband insists for emergencies.

i use my IPad for everything. I even use it to answer my landline phone and to make calls and text on it.  I can do this at home or away from home... and it's less expensive than the cell.  My IPad does almost everything a cell does, only better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I spent 15 years tethered to a phone with 6 lines to answer; no way will I be tethered to a cell phone!

My daughter used hers for everything.  So be it!  I only need a phone for occasional calls.  Got a TracFone for $79.

Serves my needs well.  I have a desktop, laptop and 2 Kindles and a Garmin GPS.  They serve all my other needs.

Plus a landline with 3 phones on it!

Honored Contributor

I thought of yet another thing I use my iPhone for... I have a Bible app on it that includes different versions of the Bible and also different Bible studies. It makes it easy to look things up wherever I am and I enjoy the studies. I do prefer holding my favorite study Bible and reading from it when I am home; it tends to open right to the verses I need to hear.

I may be the exception but I want to make this clear; as many things as I use my iPhone for, it is not attached to my hand 24/7 or anything close to that. It is put away when I am doing things with other people.

Count me as one who finds it rude when people are talking/texting/playing on their cell phones the entire time they are with other people. I don't talk or text on the phone while driving, walking or shopping. 

Trusted Contributor

I haven't activated my smart phone, but I use the flip for long distance or emergencies.  Looking up at someone or something is more important than looking down at a phone.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

I think it depends on what kind of phone you have and what is on it. I don't feel tethered to my phone. And if I am watching something on my phone like Netflix for example I can still see if someone is trying to reach me or if I got new mail or any notifications from twitter or facebook or instagram etc. Plus I have taken some amazing photos with my phone that I would not have otherwise from vacations, everyday life to concerts to running into infamous politicians and celebs so my phone is an extension of me and apart of my world.

Maybe its generational. 

Esteemed Contributor

VEry little actually.  MOstly for calls.  I normally carry my IPAD with me and much prefer  it for web browsing, reading due to the larger screen and keys.  HOwever I do not have built in Wi-Fi on it so if no Wi Fi hot spots or connection available I do use the phone to check mail but that's very seldom.

Trusted Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

Just making and receiving calls, and some texting.  I don't watch tv or movies on it.

Same here. I watch tv or movies on my tablet, using Chromecast to cast it to my tv.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

How much do you use your cell?  Just for calls?  To buy things?  Does it take the place of a computer?  Tablet? Calculator?  

@ECBG

I have an old flip phone, so I text only.  I don't even use it for calls.  And the only reason I text is to communicate with my kids because they rarely call anymore.

I use my landline for calls.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

No cell phone. Not interested.