Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I am starting to crave a peanut butter cup or 2 and potato chips and wash it down with a coke. Off to the kitchen.

@Nomorebirthdays

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@itiswhatitis. I won't argue with you, I am a nurse. I know what they do, I know they have more training in nutrition that a doctor, ask your doctor. 

I know what they do too @Nomorebirthdays.  I know they must have graduate level education to work in a hospital setting and are often called Dieticians ~ specifically for people with DIABETES.  No nutritionist would tell a person with high blood pressure it is ok for them to have sodium.

All people need some sodium in our diets.  Without it, we would die,  

@Carmie, yes it's a nutrient.  However for those with HPB it must be restricted.  Table salt is likely a no no.  The sodium content already in food is probably enough.  There is sodium in places that are hard to believe and in foods that we often don't think of.

No kidding?  We all already know that.

Personally, I do not like the taste of salt, and never have.  I do not have HBP, or high cholesterol, or diabetes or any other medical conditions except celiac disease, which means no gluten and I have osteoarthritis in both knees from years of falling on the ice and while doing gymnastics.  I do not eat pre made or processed foods except occasionally, usually somewhere other than my home. I cook from scratch.

I know that research has failed to prove that cutting sodium from our diets reduces our risk for heart related illnesses, but sodium does increase the risk for HBP .  You can curb the adverse effects of sodium  by eating foods high in potassium. Most of us do not get enough potassium in our diets.

i know my father loved salt and he used it every chance he got.  He died when he was old and he had low blood pressure and no heart disease.

I know that we all will die from something.  I know that the study of nutrition and what is good for us keeps changing.  In my lifetime, I have seen many foods that were pushed as being healthy go to the do not eat list.

We as humans are evolving and we are all different, despite being mostly the same.  One thing we all have is a free will.  We can choose to eat what we like.

Some people who eat bacon, smoke and drink whiskey and eat sugar snacks will live to be 100 and beyond and some of us who eat lean meat, veggies and fruit and pass on sugar, smoking, and whiskey will die young.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@itiswhatitis. I won't argue with you, I am a nurse. I know what they do, I know they have more training in nutrition that a doctor, ask your doctor. 

I know what they do too @Nomorebirthdays.  I know they must have graduate level education to work in a hospital setting and are often called Dieticians ~ specifically for people with DIABETES.  No nutritionist would tell a person with high blood pressure it is ok for them to have sodium.

@Carmie, yes it's a nutrient.  However for those with HPB it must be restricted.  Table salt is likely a no no.  The sodium content already in food is probably enough.  There is sodium in places that are hard to believe and in foods that we often don't think of.

Personally, I do not like the taste of salt, and never have.  I do not have HBP, or high cholesterol, or diabetes or any other medical conditions except celiac disease, which means no gluten and I have osteoarthritis in both knees from years of falling on the ice and while doing gymnastics.  I do not eat pre made or processed foods except occasionally, usually somewhere other than my home. I cook from scratch.

I know that research has failed to prove that cutting sodium from our diets reduces our risk for heart related illnesses, but sodium does increase the risk for HBP .  You can curb the adverse effects of sodium  by eating foods high in potassium. Most of us do not get enough potassium in our diets.

i know my father loved salt and he used it every chance he got.  He died when he was old and he had low blood pressure and no heart disease.

I know that we all will die from something.  I know that the study of nutrition and what is good for us keeps changing.  In my lifetime, I have seen many foods that were pushed as being healthy go to the do not eat list.

We as humans are evolving and we are all different, despite being mostly the same.  One thing we all have is a free will.  We can choose to eat what we like.

Some people who eat bacon, smoke and drink whiskey and eat sugar snacks will live to be 100 and beyond and some of us who eat lean meat, veggies and fruit and pass on sugar, smoking, and whiskey will die young.

@Carmie, SO WHAT?  So what.....SOME PEOPLE can't have extra sodium (like from their salt shaker).  What can YOU DO ABOUT IT?  I happen to be one who watches her sodium intake....SO WHAT?

Yes it's a NUTRIENT.  IT IS REQUIRED.  THE DAILY RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS ARE ONE THING.  AMOUNTS OVER THOSE REQUIREMENTS THAT LEAD TO HEART DISEASE is another.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it's good for you ~ let it work for you.

If it doesn't then why should anyone else care?

I eat MEAT (red)

I eat Poultry

I eat FISH

I eat vegetables

I eat fruit

I eat carbs (restricted)

I'm fine as long as my doctor tells me I'm one the right track by not exascerbating my illnesses.

I try not to cook with salt.  I try to watch my sodium intake because I have to.  Not because anyone else doesn't have to.  I DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR ME.  NOT YOU.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Carmie, SO WHAT?  So what.....SOME PEOPLE can't have extra sodium (like from their salt shaker).  What can YOU DO ABOUT IT?  I happen to be one who watches her sodium intake....SO WHAT?

Yes it's a NUTRIENT.  IT IS REQUIRED.  THE DAILY RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS ARE ONE THING.  AMOUNTS OVER THOSE REQUIREMENTS THAT LEAD TO HEART DISEASE is another.

Why are you yelling "So what?"   I can't do anything about the people who can't have extra sodium.  You are allowed to watch your sodium intake.  Who said you can't?

And if you research the new information for sodium, you will see that there is no evidence that a high sodium intake leads to heart disease.  It can cause HBP in some people though, not all.   If you already have heart disease, it is best to use lower levels of sodium and raise the potassium in your diet.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie. Except that elevated potassium can cause heart arrhythmia.

Not speaking directly to you but I hope people are not taking medical advice from fellow posters who are not trained medical professionals.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Why are you yelling "So what?"   I can't do anything about the people who can't have extra sodium.  You are allowed to watch your sodium intake.  Who said you can't?

And if you research the new information for sodium, you will see that there is no evidence that a high sodium intake leads to heart disease.  It can cause HBP in some people though, not all.   If you already have heart disease, it is best to use lower levels of sodium and raise the potassium in your diet.  

@Carmie, I can't fall for your theory about no research that correlates HBP and heart disease.  There is one thing that is abundantly clear:  High Blood Pressure leads to HEART DISEASE.  

I think I wil stick with the leading authoritative figures on subjects such as this.  Yeah, that's what I'll do.  DO YOU.....

I think most folk would be best served by reading and listening to their healthcare practitioners.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Carmie. Except that elevated potassium can cause heart arrhythmia.

Not speaking directly to you but I hope people are not taking medical advice from fellow posters who are not trained medical professionals.

You are right, I agree 100%.  No one should take any supplements without their doctor's recommendation.

You need a good balance between sodium and potassium. I just eat more green vegetables for potassium.  That's the safe way. ( unless I eat too much broccoli)

Esteemed Contributor

Much of the research that questions sodium intake and health problems relies on flawed data, such as inaccurate measurements of sodium intake and an overemphasis on studying sick people rather than the general population. Often, the studies with paradoxical findings are poorly designed to examine the relationship between sodium intake and the health outcome of interest.The American Heart Association published a Science Advisory in February 2014 that discussed the problems with many of the studies that question how sodium is related to heart disease.

It’s important to remember that new studies become just one part of decades of evidence on this topic. When considering that evidence as a whole, it is clear that a significant body of research reinforces the link between sodium intake and heart health.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Carmie, I can't fall for your theory about no research that correlates HBP and heart disease.  There is one thing that is abundantly clear:  High Blood Pressure leads to HEART DISEASE.  

I think I wil stick with the leading authoritative figures on subjects such as this.  Yeah, that's what I'll do.  DO YOU.....

I think most folk would be best served by reading and listening to their healthcare practitioners.

I agree. I am not your doctor.  

My cardiologist told me about the sodium and potassium intake balance and heart disease.  Since my whole family has some form of heart disease, except me and my father, I am monitored twice a year,  but so far, no problems and no HBP.