Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

@itiswhatitis. I won't argue with you, I am a nurse. I know what they do, I know they have more training in nutrition that a doctor, ask your doctor. 

Trusted Contributor

@itiswhatitis. I just used Google. Doctors receive 2 - 70 hours of nutritional education.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@itiswhatitis. I won't argue with you, I am a nurse. I know what they do, I know they have more training in nutrition that a doctor, ask your doctor. 

I know what they do too @Nomorebirthdays.  I know they must have graduate level education to work in a hospital setting and are often called Dieticians ~ specifically for people with DIABETES.  No nutritionist would tell a person with high blood pressure it is ok for them to have sodium.

*Call Tyrone*
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll

You're a good soul, dear.

🌼💛🌼💛

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

for those of you who gave up sugar, would you mind sharing how you did it? I have tried a few times and failed miserably. I know that days when I eat too many carbs/sugar I don't feel well TIA

I give up sugar when I want to lose weight.  I do very low carbs, about 20 a day.  This means I restrict fruits and most vegetables.  I eat protein mostly with a small amount of full fat dairy and low carb veggies.  I eat a couple berries on occasion, but no other fruits or fruit juice.

The first three days is awful and difficult.  I crave carbs and it's on my mind every minute that I am awake. I feel like what I think an addict would feel like.  I drink a lot of herbal tea in different flavors, to keep my mind off of the cravings and give my mouth a sweet taste.

After those three days, I no longer crave the carbs and I am never hungry.  I have to remind myself to eat.  if you can get past a few days without cheating, it's easy,  I can and have gone months on 20 carbs a day.  When I have lost the weight, I slowly introduce more carbs.  

I don't recommend a diet this low in carbs unless you are healthy.  Check with your doctor first.

thank you for your answer.....just curious tho.whats wromg with  only 20 carbs a day??

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I know what they do too @Nomorebirthdays.  I know they must have graduate level education to work in a hospital setting and are often called Dieticians ~ specifically for people with DIABETES.  No nutritionist would tell a person with high blood pressure it is ok for them to have sodium.

All people need some sodium in our diets.  Without it, we would die,  

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Caligurll

You're a good soul, dear.

🌼💛🌼💛

@sidsmom Thank you, and right back at you!

Honored Contributor

I can, and do, happily eat vegetarian - when it's my choice, and only when it's my choice to do so. For example I love Indian food and actually prefer to eat veg only in an Indian restaurant. When I was working, the meat offerings in the cafeteria were usually so unappetizing that by choice I would get two veggies, or a veggie and some starch, or veggie and salad, and not miss or crave the meat.

But I'm not a vegetarian, nor do I aspire to be. I eat red meat, chicken, fish and shellfish as well as veggies and salad. I don't eat that much meat compared to some, but I don't care about comparing myself to anyone else, and if someone attempts to lay either a guilt trip or a shame trip on me about eating meat, animals slaughtered for food, etc. it will fall on not deaf, but hostile ears.

I don't mind what anyone does themselves, whether it involves food, belief systems or romance. But don't think you can guilt or shame me into seeing things "your way" because I never will. You can't "you're ignorant", "if you only knew" and a hundred other comments aimed at making you feel superior and special and me feel like a sadistic ignorant clot, "force" me into seeing and doing as you do.

I had a BFF who was a vegetarian - and always sick and rundown, never mind that she shopped almost exclusively at Whole Foods and consumed every supplement known to man, but...her business.

However - if we were in a grocery store and someone in front of us was buying meat, she would insist we had to move to another lane because "it made her sick to look at it" and she could smell it (it was tightly wrapped in cellophane), thus affecting me, and my time. If we ate out, she not only had to pick the restaurant to be sure that it accommodated her needs/wants, but she also needed to control what you ate in the restaurant as well. It was "not nice", "poor manners", etc. if I ordered shrimp! (That was the beginning of The End for us.)

She and her husband had a business dinner with someone in anticipation of a job, where people like hubby were plentiful and the other party could hire anyone. It was an "impress this guy" dinner. He ordered a burger. Both of them (according to her) apparently couldn't refrain from gagging, being uncomfortably rude, etc. He didn't get the job; she said he didn't want the job under the circumstances, but I think she just lost him a job, because he would eat meat if it was politic that he do so, because the Crusade was her life, not his.

Vegetarians know that the West are meat eaters. They are free to be vegetarians; they are not free, IMO, to make superior, people-who-eat-animal-flesh-are-disgusting cracks anywhere and everywhere because they need to be not simply vegetarians, but Crusader Vegetarians.

Meh. Don't care. Will never care. The tactics say much about insecurity and desperation, and need for attention.

And FWIW, I "hosted" a group of 8-9 Englishwomen who were in CA on vacation. They were all vegetarians, due mostly to the Mad Cow Disease issues at the time, and no meat being sold in the UK at the time. We ate anywhere. They all found something to eat on any menu and never said a peep. I wasn't choosing the restaurants, but they weren't choosing vegetarian restaurants to eat in. They were a pleasure to be with. They worked with their limitations and didn't insist on making their limitations mine.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

All people need some sodium in our diets.  Without it, we would die,  

Seriously?

99.999999% of the time people die

from TOO much sodium, not too little.  

I don't we, in a modern society, don't have to

worry about not 'getting enough'. 

1500-2000mg is the recommended amount.

One can obtain over 1/2 of that with naturally occurring sodium

in vegetables, starches, drained/rinsed beans...that's not even 

counting the "dash" or shake of the salt shaker (approx 200mg).