Honored Contributor

Re: How Many Blankets Do You Have On Your Bed?

Top sheet, blanket, quilt.

Esteemed Contributor

2 light 100% cotton blankets.  Polyester blankets make me too hot and don't breathe.  

Esteemed Contributor

I sleep cold, and can't imagine having only one (or none!) blanket.

Brrrr!

Oh, and one of my blankets is an electric, and when I do turn it on, it's cranked up to high.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Zero, only a light throw. Still running a fan at night. Haven’t used a blanket in years. It’s rarely cold enough in Arizona for much more.

I have a heated mattress pad, a sheet and blanket plus two other blankets at the foot of the bed.  It is not unusual to hit the freezing temp in AZ in the winter at night.  Admittedly, I am a cold sleeper, but it's a myth that AZ is always hot.

Then you go to the mountain areas and it is very cold with snow.

I’m looking forward to next week when the temps finally dip into the 60’s.

Respected Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have four blankets and a heated mattress pad which I only turn on to warm things up before I get in then I turn it off. My thermostat is set at 50' at night.

@SilleeMee  I'm not sure how cold it gets where you are, but when it's very cold outside you can get frozen heating pipes if the heat isn't turned up high enough.  I have forced hot water gas heating, so maybe this doesn't apply to your system.  I keep the heat at 60 during the winter cold and when it gets really cold and the weather forecasters advise it, I turn it up to 70 temporarily to prevent the pipes from freezing and bursting.  That gets very expensive.

@OfCourse ... 50 degrees would be too low for me at night also. We usually have the furnace set at 68 degrees at night during the winter. We reach down to 25-30 below zero in the winter here on the really cold nights. Some times it doesn't get above zero at all during the daytime.

Regarding the frozen water pipes, I don't know where you live, but I live way up in Northern Wisconsin. When the frost gets a certain depth into the ground, we are required to keep the water running the diameter of a pencil lead at night...and during the day if it stays far below zero. That keeps the water from freezing up. The city makes an adjustment on everyone's water bill to write off the excess water usage. If you do not keep the water running and your pipes freeze up, then you have to pay the bill. Even then, the hose to my dishwasher often freezes up during the winter, so I have to leave the doors under the sink open at night...and block the cat out of the kitchen so she doesn't get into the cleaning products.  Sometimes we have to take a hair dryer to the dishwasher hose to thaw it out...either that or put a heater in front of the open doors.

Right now we have three blankets on our bed and polar fleece sheets. As it gets colder, we will add more. We like the feeling of blankets piled up on our bed, rather than using an electric blanket or mattress pad warmer.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

We have a northern nights eiderdown on the bed. 

In the summer, we have a sheet and a light weight blanket to pull up if its chilly. We have no ac.

We sleep with the french doors open all year unless it's pouring.

Valued Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

We only have one blanket and polar fleece sheet plus a comforter at the foot if we need it.  We like to sleep in a cool room and cover up.

I love my polar fleece sheets. I have taken a blanket off my bed and am warmer than with my flannel sheets not to mention never get too hot. 

Esteemed Contributor

Technically none.  Currently I'm using an old quilt/comforter as the bedspread/blanket.  I do have about three different throws at the foot of the bed and I'll grab for one or more during the night if I get cold.  Shortly, I'll change to my down comforter and it's more than enough to keep me warm through the winter (and I freeze from fall until spring) so no additional blankets are required.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have 2. 

Keep the house at 62.  2 is more than enough. I don't like much heat so dh and I keep the house cool as well as sleeping.

Honored Contributor

4 and we keep our house at 84 degrees.