Esteemed Contributor

How Long Should Your new TV last?

Most of us have some sort of electronic gadget (I guess).  If we did not, I don't think we could communicate here.

How long do you think these items (recorders, tv's, radios, video games, etc.,) should last?  I was talking to a neighbor who was telling me her woes about a flat screen tv she bought about a year going blank.  I shared similar frustration with her, though my experience didn't deliver a blank screen.  It just shut off when it wanted to and I couldn't turn it on until it was ready to do so.  Yes, I put up with that for a while.  She was trying to figure if she should have it repaired or if it was worth dumping it.  It is out of warranty now, and this her dilemma.

Is  planned obsolescence a good thing for consumers in the long run, or is it just old fashioned greed?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Re: How Long Should Your new TV last?

[ Edited ]

Most TVs are throw away  today....more $$ to fix than they are worth.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Mist TVs are throw away  today....more $$ to fix than they are worth.

I agree.  That's why I'm not financing a purchase such as this. They're done before you can finish paying for them!  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Oh this is a subject matter that has bothered me for years.  If you can get ahold of a book written (I think) in the 60's called "The Waste Makers" by Vance Packard, it is a very well done book detailing this.  Yes, items are built to only last a few years.

We bought a suite of furniture years ago and in doing so met the owner of the (well known) furniture store.  We were impressed with how well his furniture was built and the warranty.  Talking with him, it turns out he used to work for another very well known furniture store as one of their National Upper Management.  He said he attended a meeting where they were discussing what to do about the life of their product.  At the time, their product lasted about 20 years and they felt they needed the public to come back into their store and buy more furniture but it was lasting too long!  They decided to downgrade their product to last 7 to 10 years!  And they did that!  And that was the reason this man quit and started his own furniture company.

And yes, it is all about the profit margins.... greed... and it's well planned!. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that tvs aren't worth fixing if they do break down. I also have never purchased those warranties they try to sell you and I don't know if I just got lucky or not but I have never had a tv break down on me. I was always ready for another one way before they broke and I know that because I gave each one of them away to people who could use them when I got new ones. They worked for long periods of time after I gave them away. My mom also still has the floor model tv that we had in our living room in the early 80s. She has it in her sewing room and it still works!! I don't know why but she just never got rid of it. It is so strange seeing how big they used to be and how they were not only tvs but kind of pieces of furniture too. I kind of miss them. When I walk into that room and see that tv it makes me feel nostalgic. I remember sitting around that tv watching the Challenger explosion. It was a snow day.  

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Everything nowadays is disposable. Back in the 50's/60's when I was a kid, things were repaired over and over until they could not be repaired anymore. They don't make things like they used to.

I would love to do away with cable TV, but DH won't hear of it. I watch very little TV. If my TV craps out, I won't be buying another one. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

My receiver/stereo & vcr are older than dirt & still going strong.  Belonged to parents originally.

My 20+ yr old 5 disc CD player is still going strong.

I gave my 50" flat tv which I purchased 1998 to the Salvation Army when a tube blew out - no picture.  The tube is sold by Home Depo & Sears.  Gave the info to SA.

My 30" screen living room tv has been "dying" now for a year.  6 White horizontal lines across the top currently.  Every few months a new line is added.  It's 12 yrs old.

5th Generation iPod Nano w/Video Camera is still going strong.  Purchased 2009.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I've never owned a tv that stopped working.  I replaced my older ones when their technology got outdated 

I wish I could have this kind of luck with my laptops. 

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I don't know.  I've never owned a tv that stopped working.  I replaced my older ones when their technology got outdated 

I wish I could have this kind of luck with my laptops. 

I agree @september.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I use my TVs until they die.  I had to get rid of my  last tube TV that still worked only because it could no longer get the new signals they use now. I always use things until they wear out. I could care less about technology and having to have the newest thing. My computer is almost 10 years old. My car is 17 years old. I do not like the new cars. To many new fangled things and not enough windows to see well.