Respected Contributor

Re: How Kohl's Has Avoided the Retail Meltdown

Exactly.   One of the reasons I stopped shopping at Macy's, too many on & off coupons.  I doo love a good coupon & deal, but I'm much to busy at this point to coordinate the day, the coupon, & the restrictions.   Give me the best price you can, and I'll buy it or not. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

I don't think shoppers want to be solicited no matter where they are shopping. Another reason shopping on line makes sense....you don't have to put up with solicitors.
Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@AuntMame wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I will never step foot into Kohls.  I actually sent a complaint email to their home office a few months ago and I never do that. 

About a decade ago, my local store started a policy of hunting you down as you shop and asking if you wanted their credit card.  I don't want to be solicited like that and it's bad enough you have to say no ten times at the checkout line.

The stopper for me back then was when a man approached me in lingerie and struck up a conversation about their coupons.  I am holding intimates in my hand and I don't want to talk to a strange guy about nonsense while I do.  I never went back.

Over the summer, it was back to school weekend and I wanted to lay hands on cooking sets to see what I liked.  I figured it had been 10 years and maybe things had changed.

Nope!

I walk in and a lady immediately greets me and asks if I have their card.  I lie and say yes.  I walk back to the kitchen area and I hear her walking down the aisle accosting everyone she meets.  She comes to me no less than 2 minutes after I just said yes and asks me again.  I say yes again. 

At this point I am done.  I can't shop with a knot in my stomach wondering when someone else is going to ambush me.  So I leave in a different direction to make sure I don't run into her again.

I get to the front door to exit and she pops up again and again asks me for the third time in 5 minutes if I have their card.

I was so disgusted I emailed their home office, told them what happened, and said unless they plan to require their customers to use lanyards to display their Kohls cards at all times, it's rude and I would not be back after trying to return from a 10 year hiatus.

Kohls is just not for me.   

You bring up an interesting point. Kohl's is doing well by the numbers, but how much of its profit is due to its credit cards rather than actual retail sales? Was reading an article a while back that said that many retailers with good numbers--Home Depot and Target were given as examples--are actually pulling in almost half of their profit from their credit cards, and that is not necessarily good. 

Retailers often force employees to meet monthly credit card signup goals. Hence the hard sell. 

I find the credit card sellers to be annoying too. 

@AuntMame You bring up a good point about HD and the credit card.

It is VERY popular.

I listen to Dave Ramsey on Sirius/XM and I am surprised at the number of callers who have $50,000 in HD credit card debt.

One of my good friends remodeled her whole house on a HD credit card.

Wow. Just wow. Woman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

I must be picky. I almost never find a single thing worth buying at Kohl’s. Whatever they are doing isn’t working to get me to buy anything!

I never do either, so I have stopped going.  I used to live near a Kohl's, so occasionally I would stop in to get a gift or a pretty common item, and I always left empty-handed.  Long, long lines to check out and no sales help on the floors combined with poor variety overall.  

I don't think you're picky.  I understand completely!

Respected Contributor

I guess I'm the outlier here. I like Kohl's but only shop there when I get a 30% off coupon. It's like a game to me. I've never been solicited for a credit card and got mine at the cashier long ago. I don't go their for stylish or dressy clothing but get  my underwear, nightgowns, tee shirts and jeans there. Household appliances and inexpensive gifts are easy to get at a vety reasonable price. Especially with that 30% off!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown