Honored Contributor

Re: How Kohl's Has Avoided the Retail Meltdown

@aroc3435 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I also miss Bon-Ton.  I used to go to their brick and mortar store when one was near me.  Liked the men's, children's, fragrance, home, and costume jewelry departments.  Got wonderful cashmere sweaters there years ago that are still in good shape.

Last November/December I got some nice toys for my grandsons and some decorative items for my home.

I had an e-mail on October 4th that they have relaunched as a limited on-line presence now.  The owner is taking it gradually--there was a note from him on the website.  At your leisure you might want to check it out.

@aroc3435

I got a couple e-mails from Bon-Ton but didn't open.  I thought it might be some kind of scam since the store closed.  I didn't know that that they were trying to do on-line.  Thanks for this post!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I've never been a Kohl's fan at all! The stores, where I used to shop at, were filthy, messy and just carried junk, in my estimation. I have moved and the only store near me now is about 30 miles away. Yes, its a much nicer store but they still sell junk. JMO

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.  

I've never bought anything at Kohl's, and it's ironic that one of the things that annoys me about the place is touted as a reason they've avoided a meltdown.  I dislike that it's out of the way, off in the distance from the other stores.  Sometimes I thought about going there but decided not to because it required me to fight traffic and go out of my way.  The few times I've been there I thought I could find comparable items, if not better, at other stores for better prices.  That's the big deal breaker for me.  Plus, they don't support local charities and schools like other big stores in the area do. Several big chain stores around here help out with coat, toy, food drives around the holidays, but Kohl's always says no.  Maybe one reason they avoid meltdown is that they don't give back to the community, at least that's how it is with our local store.  Another turn off is they seem to be understaffed.  When I was there, lines were long and help was hard to find.  Guess that's another reason they stay afloat.  May be worth a look to see how they reorganize with the Amazon partnership, but don't think it's worth the fight to get to the inconvenient location.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Glad to have been able to let you know.  At some point later this month I'm going to try and make a few purchases from the Bon-Ton website in the hope that it will help their business.  

I bet a lot of folks like you who received e-mail from them thought it was a bogus phishing/scam e-mail.

The note from the owner on the website was very gracious and he pointed out the dedication of the company's loyal, dedicated employees.

Esteemed Contributor

I would classify Kohl's in the same category as a "Mart" store--not my favorite shopping experience. And the whole paper coupon/discount is a total turn off to me, but I understand how this psychology plays to people.

Good for Kohl's for finding their niche and staying alive when so many other retailers cannot find a foothold.

Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

I llike Kohl's and get a lot of bargains there with coupons. I've gotten cute shirts

for as little as $3. Loads of clearance thru the last few years.

Just a little mad this week as I get their emails. Placed an online order Monday

with great low prices and so many promo codes that system wouldn't accept

any more. Thought I got good deals. Free ship at $75.

Todays email, additional $15 Kohls cash with $50 order and free ship at $50.

I reorder the items I placed on order from Monday (which I didn't get any 

additional Kohls cash) and when I get the 1st order I am returning the whole

thing in my store and telling them why. The offers and Kohls cash were

better today. 

Just wasted a lot of my time looking and placing orders. Best tip is to wait

for their weekend sales. I learned my lesson.

I've had this happen with Talbots, but I was able to call and have them make the adjustments on the phone.  Had they made me go to the store and return, I would have been really annoyed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I will never step foot into Kohls.  I actually sent a complaint email to their home office a few months ago and I never do that. 

About a decade ago, my local store started a policy of hunting you down as you shop and asking if you wanted their credit card.  I don't want to be solicited like that and it's bad enough you have to say no ten times at the checkout line.

The stopper for me back then was when a man approached me in lingerie and struck up a conversation about their coupons.  I am holding intimates in my hand and I don't want to talk to a strange guy about nonsense while I do.  I never went back.

Over the summer, it was back to school weekend and I wanted to lay hands on cooking sets to see what I liked.  I figured it had been 10 years and maybe things had changed.

Nope!

I walk in and a lady immediately greets me and asks if I have their card.  I lie and say yes.  I walk back to the kitchen area and I hear her walking down the aisle accosting everyone she meets.  She comes to me no less than 2 minutes after I just said yes and asks me again.  I say yes again. 

At this point I am done.  I can't shop with a knot in my stomach wondering when someone else is going to ambush me.  So I leave in a different direction to make sure I don't run into her again.

I get to the front door to exit and she pops up again and again asks me for the third time in 5 minutes if I have their card.

I was so disgusted I emailed their home office, told them what happened, and said unless they plan to require their customers to use lanyards to display their Kohls cards at all times, it's rude and I would not be back after trying to return from a 10 year hiatus.

Kohls is just not for me.   

You bring up an interesting point. Kohl's is doing well by the numbers, but how much of its profit is due to its credit cards rather than actual retail sales? Was reading an article a while back that said that many retailers with good numbers--Home Depot and Target were given as examples--are actually pulling in almost half of their profit from their credit cards, and that is not necessarily good. 

Retailers often force employees to meet monthly credit card signup goals. Hence the hard sell. 

I find the credit card sellers to be annoying too. 

@AuntMame You bring up a good point about HD and the credit card.

It is VERY popular.

I listen to Dave Ramsey on Sirius/XM and I am surprised at the number of callers who have $50,000 in HD credit card debt.

One of my good friends remodeled her whole house on a HD credit card.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I must be picky. I almost never find a single thing worth buying at Kohl’s. Whatever they are doing isn’t working to get me to buy anything!

Honored Contributor

the nice thing about the HOME DEPOT credit card is they often have 12 months free financing, sometimes more. i am sure that encourages people to use the credit card, especially if you are doing a big project.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

the nice thing about the HOME DEPOT credit card is they often have 12 months free financing, sometimes more. i am sure that encourages people to use the credit card, especially if you are doing a big project.

Definitely.

I believe they also offer other incentives periodically.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN