Respected Contributor

Re: How Kohl's Has Avoided the Retail Meltdown

@VaBelle35 wrote:

One of the reasons the Mall annoys me is all those hawkers in the carts chasing you down to sample their junk.

Similarly, small stores like Yankee Candle are annoying when they chase you around the store trying to show you everything.

The store is 5ft by 5ft.  I think I can find everything on my own without help.

I really hate the hard sell.

@VaBelle35 My local Yankee Candle isn't like that. The clerks will tell you their specials and then let you browse unless you need help. I haven't had a lot of hard sells while shopping in stores which is good. Now those mall kiosks are a different story, especially if it's home improvement. Now that I live in an apartment, I can just tell them that and they leave me alone. 

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy  I honestly thought he was one of those until he opened up his mouth and started talking about Kohls coupons.  I then saw his name badge and realized I was being marketed to again and that was my last trip in for the next 10 years. 

Just common sense is all I ask.  Strange men approaching women in the lingerie department = really bad idea.  

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

One of the reasons the Mall annoys me is all those hawkers in the carts chasing you down to sample their junk.

Similarly, small stores like Yankee Candle are annoying when they chase you around the store trying to show you everything.

The store is 5ft by 5ft.  I think I can find everything on my own without help.

I really hate the hard sell.

@VaBelle35 My local Yankee Candle isn't like that. The clerks will tell you their specials and then let you browse unless you need help. I haven't had a lot of hard sells while shopping in stores which is good. Now those mall kiosks are a different story, especially if it's home improvement. Now that I live in an apartment, I can just tell them that and they leave me alone. 

@Cumbercookie13  The hawkers on the way out of Costco are easy to avoid by saying "I rent."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Cumbercookie13  The hawkers on the way out of Costco are easy to avoid by saying "I rent."

@VaBelle35 Definitely. I had a guy come to my door a couple of weeks ago, not to sell, but he wanted to put political signs down. I told him this was an apartment and he had to check with the landlord. My building is a house split into different units so if you wouldn't know it, it looks like a single family home. I'm enjoying less solicitation.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in a Kohl's for the first time. They are far away unless you have a car. I did not like it for it was packed with racks of clothes and hard to find the way around. I had ordered recently from the computer and was very satisfied with the sale price on croft and barrow and fit. Since I ordered enough it was sent free. Also Skechers.

Esteemed Contributor

I llike Kohl's and get a lot of bargains there with coupons. I've gotten cute shirts

for as little as $3. Loads of clearance thru the last few years.

Just a little mad this week as I get their emails. Placed an online order Monday

with great low prices and so many promo codes that system wouldn't accept

any more. Thought I got good deals. Free ship at $75.

Todays email, additional $15 Kohls cash with $50 order and free ship at $50.

I reorder the items I placed on order from Monday (which I didn't get any 

additional Kohls cash) and when I get the 1st order I am returning the whole

thing in my store and telling them why. The offers and Kohls cash were

better today. 

Just wasted a lot of my time looking and placing orders. Best tip is to wait

for their weekend sales. I learned my lesson.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm clearly in the minority, but I have never been to a Kohl's that made me want to go back.  

The stores are not organized well, IMO, and there is very little variety.  They're always understaffed, too, with no one available on the floor to help and never enough cashiers.  A lot of what they sell is either junk or over-priced.  Even when there are only a few customers (which seems to be most of the time), there are very long waits to check out.  I don't run into these problems so consistently anywhere else.

And I really, really hate their carts!  

(Fortunately there are lots of other places to shop, so that's what I do.  I guess locations vary a lot, since it seems so many posters here are happy with Kohl's.)

Esteemed Contributor

I've never been in a Kohl's!  Are there any in NYC?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It I rarely go in Kohls....but I shopped there a lot in years' past. I was in there recently for the first time in a couple of years.....I thought the merchandise was poorly made even though it looked okay from a distance.i think they are targeting a specific demographic and the Kohls cash and coupons are still a big hit with customers. I prefer shopping online and went in to check something I saw on their site. I am so glad I saw it in person before I ordered it! It was awful. I know they have not spent a lot of energy on their website; their shipping is high, even more than QVC, seems they are banking on their stores rather than online sales..and it must be working.

Respected Contributor

I love Kohl's, these days it's my 'go to' store. For many, many years JC Penney was at the top of my list but the last couple years their (clothing) quality has really gone downhill.

I've never been approached while shopping in Kohl's about coupons and no one has ever asked me about opening a credit card either.

I love the clothing, jewelry and household items. My husband loves the kitchen department.

You can really get a bargain when you use coupons and Kohl's cash. And when I order online the order always comes really fast.