Respected Contributor

Re: How Kohl's Has Avoided the Retail Meltdown

Toys 'R' Us Relaunching As Geoffrey's Toy Box

Honored Contributor

Ours is dark, drab and uninviting.  I’ve only been happy with the children’s clothing. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I have never understood the appeal of Kohl’s.  

@tansy...I wonder if it is dependent upon where you live. The store we have within 5 minutes is not well kept and the clothing is not particularly nice. Shoes are in boxes, self-serve. The linens dept is a nightmare where it appears no one ever bothers to clean it up.

LOL  Same here.  It's like a bomb went off.  If I know what I want, I usually end up placing an order at the kiosk.  It's easier than pawing through all that stuff on the chance I might find the one I'm looking for.

Honored Contributor

The town I live in has a Kohl's and a TJ Maxx-that's it for apparel and household items. I've been back in the Kohls a few times over the last six months, before that I only ordered online. They've fixed it up, it looks neater and more organized. I hate the lines, they never have enough cashiers.

I don't have a Kohl's card and don't want one right now. I buy necessities there because of a lack of local options. I pick and choose what I buy there. Yes some of it is not good quality but some is. I have clothing items from Kohl's that have held up well for many years.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Retail is not for the faint of heart, one of my employers requires us to ask every customer at check out for their loyalty card.  They track every transaction and can tell if you are not doing it.

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I really think Kohl's has been making it through because they make the customer "Feel" like they are getting a deal.  They seem to be offering a Kohl's cash every single week instead of once a month as it was in the past.  This alone makes me think they are not doing as well as the article indicates.  Signs posted throughout the store advertise 50-60% off, when if you look at the price the original price is quite high.  Getting 30% off with your Kohl's charge makes some people rush into the store.  

Kohl's is the only apparel retailer in my town and I rarely shop there because there aren't as many deals as they advertise.  Yes on clearance you can find deals but that is not the norm throughout the store.

I forgot to mention that in my post upthread.  I've noticed that a lot too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I have never understood the appeal of Kohl’s.  

@tansy...I wonder if it is dependent upon where you live. The store we have within 5 minutes is not well kept and the clothing is not particularly nice. Shoes are in boxes, self-serve. The linens dept is a nightmare where it appears no one ever bothers to clean it up.

I haven't been there in about 2 years when I went looking for curtains. I highly doubt I will be back.

I'm sure it's better/worse in different locations, depending on store managers, etc.  But I've been to a few in different areas, and have never been impressed.  What I've noticed is not as bad as you described, but definitely along those lines.  

Respected Contributor

Our KOHL'S never seems to be busy with shoppers.  Customer Service always has a line for returns.

Honored Contributor

The Kohl's in my area are kinda new.  They are located in a big shopping area, but not a mall.

I have been in there maybe three times.  I don't like that store at all.  Things were too expensive, poor selection and everything is too close and jammed together. there is little room to walk.

I don't want to deal with Kohl's cash, coupons and all their other gimmicks to get a good price.  Just price it right and be done with it.  

Honored Contributor

JCPenney is still my choice.