Respected Contributor

Re: How Is Your Life Different Since Thanksgiving 2019?

My life isn't really different.  We are home bodies and don't travel because of having a lot of animals.   I don't like to travel and my husband can't tolerate flying so that isn't a problem for us.  All the pandemic furor didn't affect us a lot since we aren't very social.  My family doesn't do big get together s since my mother and her sisters died   I do wash my clothes more frequently (like each time I wear something outside home it gets washed at once) and I do avoid crowds more.  But that is about it.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

We for the most part have gotten back to what it was before the pandemic.  We go out with friends, entertain more.  Have been going out to breakfast and dinner, the movies, doing projects in the house. Go for our walks on the beach or hiking, back to traveling.  With the exception of grocery shopping we pretty much stayed home or went to places where there were very few people. Always wore our masks. Had hand sanitizer, etc. Will be seeing family this Thanksgiving. No family gatherings the past couple of years so it will be good to see them again.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

2019 was a terrible year for me. I lost my mother and on the day of her funeral Hospice started with my husband. I lost him a few days before Thanksgiving. I try to keep busy and accomplish something worthwhile with my leisure time. This seems to help. I am still finding my way and wondering what my purpose is. I am so grateful for the 32 years we had together. I know that I will never be loved that way again.

@tiny 2 - I am so sorry for your losses @tiny 2 .  I don't think I will ever be loved that way again either and that makes me sad.  Take care.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

At covid, things changed a lot.  DH and I aren't that well to begin with, so this really set us back.  We became pretty much housebound.  We, with good reason, did not go out except for medical appts. and did not get together with anybody.  We always did quite a few things - just little things that were tradtional for us - during the holidays and these things all stopped.  Of course, we still decorated our home and made the meals for the two of us.  Nothing has really gotten back to where it was before this.  Our health conditions have gotten worse since then and we are still very cautious.  We do go out a bit, but very little.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lost the best brother-in-law to Covid-19.  I couldn't attend his funeral because I was scheduled for surgery.  That hurts me to this day.  He's missed so much.  I also missed my daughter-in-law's baby shower for the same reason.  She's a nurse so thankfully she understood. 😔

DH stopped going into the office as of March 2020. He is home full time but still employed, working remotely, and it appears it will stay that way. We love it!  He's part of an international team that does everything via the computer and company messaging program or Zoom type meetings..  There's no need for him to go to the office to do that.  He could retire, but why?  

At home, our days are simple, but that would have happened eventually anyway.  We watch a lot of Dr. Pol and Hallmark movies, but there are a few programs that I/we keep up with. I'd like to read more, but I don't.  I don't exercise much either.  I cook the majority of our meals.  We changed the timing of when we eat though.  I do intermittent fasting 20:4 daily, OMAD a once in awhile.  DH doesn't do any intentional IF.  We have our bigger meal of the day at noon.  It works well for us rather than eating a larger meal later in the afternoon/early evening and still feeling full at bedtime.  

We haven't changed anything about our comings and goings - still travel, grocery shop, eat out when we want, visit family and friends, attend concerts, attend trade markets, etc.

Honored Contributor

Everything for every day is back to pre 2020 with my family and friends venues and the amount of people.  As far as masks I may see someone (a stranger) in a mask once a week or so when I am out running errands.  I could not tell you the last time I saw someone I know wearing a mask.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Since Thanksgiving 2019, I lost 2 brothers and experienced a major health event for me.I don't take anything or anyone for granted. I try to love a little stronger, be more patient and kind, hug longer, give genuine compliments to strangers to put a smile on their face, and to always say I love you to my loved ones. As for the Thanksgivng celebration, we still have a houseful with the big spread of food. I no longer complain about the work it takes to prepare the meal or the house. Every day is a gift and I count my blessings. 

Esteemed Contributor

@arrabella 

I am so sorry to read that your DH died, and so recently. Can only imagine the heartache you are going through after being together so many years.

My sincerest condolences to you on your  loss of such a major part of your life. My thoughts will be with you during such a sad, sad time.  🙏🙏

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

Missing my husband of 50 years 2020Smiley Sad

AW-you guys are nice Heart

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@arrabella 

I am so sorry to read that your DH died, and so recently. Can only imagine the heartache you are going through after being together so many years.

My sincerest condolences to you on your  loss of such a major part of your life. My thoughts will be with you during such a sad, sad time.  🙏🙏

hckynut 🇺🇸

What a beautiful post!