Trusted Contributor

Re: How Is Your Life Different Since Thanksgiving 2019?

This Thanksgiving will not be the same for me. My DH passed away on 10/29/22 after 41 years of marriage. Right now I'm just trying to get thru each day.

Honored Contributor

Our daugher got married 3 weeks before Thanksgiving 2019.

This year we were blessed with our first grandchild.  The best little boy ever.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@arrabella wrote:

This Thanksgiving will not be the same for me. My DH passed away on 10/29/22 after 41 years of marriage. Right now I'm just trying to get thru each day.

@arrabella - sending you my deepest sympathies.  Loss of a spouse is a soul crushing loss.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetghThank you so much.  I'm just so lost right now. It was just him and me, no family and most of our friends either passed away or moved out of Cali. I do have one couple who is keeping an eye on me and we meet at church. I thank God for them!

Honored Contributor

very little has changed for our family other than we added a new member.

the only major difference is we no longer wear a mask.

we are lucky to be relatively healthy, have strong family and friend connections and adventures, and be working just as hard then as we are doing now.

hope you are all happy, healthy, and able to enjoy Thanksgiving in some special way and that it brings you peace and contentment. Heart

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@arrabella wrote:

@gidgetghThank you so much.  I'm just so lost right now. It was just him and me, no family and most of our friends either passed away or moved out of Cali. I do have one couple who is keeping an eye on me and we meet at church. I thank God for them!

@arrabella - less than a week after my husband died, I went to a doctor appt I had set up months before.  It was with my gyno and I went because I didn't want to go through the hassle to re-schedule, that seemed a little overwhelming, plus, he is the doctor I've seen the longest so I trust him, AND he had lost his wife a few years before so he would understand. 

He sat and talked to me like he had no other patients waiting.  He told me that my body would physically be in shock for months...several months....and to expect that. And he told me to make no major decisions for at least 6 months. So, I am passing those on to you.

And, from me,  your grief journey is yours and yours alone.  I never tell anyone how they should grieve and I wouldn't take it well if someone tried to tell me.  So, please be gentle with yourself as you navigate this.  I don't ever sugarcoat it.  It's horrible. 

As public as these forums are, I am here for you and if I can be of any help to you at all, please just ask.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

Extending my sympathies on your loss.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Nothing has changed. We are doing the same stuff as before. Pandemic or no pandemic it never stopped us from going out and doing what we wanted to do.

Same here.  We did not stop living our life.  Ours has not changed hardly at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're pretty much the same as before.

I worked through the winter with a mask and never caught anything (I had both shots), so I got to work with color (YEAH!!!!).

The only real change is we took turns having a Christmas dinner and gifts with another couple, their married kids, their grand children; our son, and his family.  We have been together since college days.

Scheduling had been a bear, it was hard when my turn came because my free time is precious.

We should already be scheduled and aren't.  That's ok with me.

Esteemed Contributor

The major difference since 2019 is I'm now retired.( Loving it!)  No more masks, and some places closing a couple months, but my lifestyle overall hasn't changed. We always got takeout rather than eating out, still went to grocery stores and pharmacies, kept appointments as soon as places were open again. 

Thanksgiving has always been my husband and myself, enjoying a quiet day together. Most of the family lives out of state, and visits have usually taken place in the spring or summer. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain