Respected Contributor

Re: How Is Your Life Different Since Thanksgiving 2019?

Nothing has changed for us. It's still a quiet day. I don't enjoy large gatherings or all the work involved in planning and cooking a meal for a house full of folks. 

Respected Contributor

Since Covid, I have become more of a hermit. It kind of worries me that --- I'm growing to like it more every day. It's far from who I used to be. 

Having lost so many family members who I loved to share time with, trying to replace them with superficial social activities just doesn't do it for me. 

I don't want to sound stuffy, because I'm far from it, but I'd rather hang out with my dog, watch movies, or read a good book, than be checking the time for when I can make a socially acceptable exit. 

The fact is, my life is much different than any of my friends, or neighbors. Even with the few I still like to visit, I don't like to feel like a third wheel. Being a widow changes the dynamics with former friendships and relationships. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Since Covid, I have become more of a hermit. It kind of worries me that --- I'm growing to like it more every day. It's far from who I used to be. 

Having lost so many family members who I loved to share time with, trying to replace them with superficial social activities just doesn't do it for me. 

I don't want to sound stuffy, because I'm far from it, but I'd rather hang out with my dog, watch movies, or read a good book, than be checking the time for when I can make a socially acceptable exit. 

The fact is, my life is much different than any of my friends, or neighbors. Even with the few I still like to visit, I don't like to feel like a third wheel. Being a widow changes the dynamics with former friendships and relationships. 

@BlueFinch - yes, it absolutely changed the dynamics with former friendships and relationships. That is one thing I had really not thought about when my husband died.  But it's a huge change of dynamics. and it stinks.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one more grand baby born in November 2021. I retired in April of this year. I've had some health issues; but I'm doing well. I have lost 20lbs since August of this year. While Covid is still with us, the crisis is over. Everything has returned to normal socially. It returned to normal over a year ago. Life is different but in good ways. Taking advantage of online shopping and meal delivery services and chatting with friends and family on Zoom or FaceTime or through social media has enriched our lives. But we are out and about more than we were a year ago.  

Honored Contributor

In some ways it's better.  I am closer to my good friends and some family. 

However I also have nephews who are married with young children and they are too afraid to leave their "bubble".  I have not see one for almost three years and another did come to my dd's wedding in May but I don't know when I will see him & his wife again.  I guess it's also because they are moving on with their own families as life moves on.

I also haven't really gotten to travel which I miss.  For me it has to do with DH's disability and now my brother is a caretaker to his significant other who has Lewy Body dementia.  I hope to be able to go to a few places some day if I'm still feeling well.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@BlueFinch Even though it is my husband and me, we do share a lot of your feelings.  Especially since family and most friends are gone, it is a different world--with or without a pandemic.  And for people with health concerns, a far far different world.  

Enjoy your calm days and the pleasures of life that you have.

Honored Contributor

Living in an apartment in the city - we were never really isolated from one another.  I saw friends regularly.  Our church did live streaming of services.  I saw my doctors / dentist.

Biggest change has been in communication re some of our groups/organizations.  

Zoom meetings, webinars, live streaming. 

Most of us lost a friend or family member .... but that happens whether or not there's a pandemic.

Life goes on ....

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I still wear a mask when I am at the grocery store, etc. I don't go to social events unless I know everyone attending is vaccinated. I stay home a lot more and keep lines of communication open more through email and messaging. I shop more online than in person. I am much more cautious about hand washing several times a day, and some activities like flying or attending concerts are out for me. Still, it's not the worst scenario. At least I have remained healthy all this time.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday. It was the one holiday that all our extended families were together.

However, Thanksgiving is now a little difficult. Mom died on Thanksgiving 5 years ago. I miss her so much.

We are all thrilled to have Dad with us, soon to be 91 and still living in his home. I want to be like him if I make it that long. 

After my parents passed, I spent the last 25 years having Thanksgiving in a small community overlooking Whidbey Island and the water north of Seattle. The family were wonderful, cordial people whose daughters I watched grow up, marry, and become mothers. Then Covid came along, and those TG dinners stopped. Even the daughters stayed home within their own families. Now that we are coming out of the worst, I found out the girls' parents got a divorce, sold their beautiful home, and moved away. Can't help but wonder if being cooped up with one another every single day with no break,  may have brought down their marriage. The old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt" may apply here.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl  You certainly have had more than your share, to deal with. You deserve to have some peace and tranquility and some happiness.

I hope that you have wonderful holidays and that 2023

will be a much better year for you.

Best wishes that your ankle will heal and that you will be back on your feet and pain free soon.