Trusted Contributor

Re: How Is Your Life Different Since Thanksgiving 2019?

Missing my husband of 50 years 2020Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Now, It's only 4 of us for Thanksgiving, Myself. DH, DS and his girlfriend.

Because of Covid19 my siblings all started doing their own thing for the holidays and we're all continuing for now.

Both my sisters are diabetic and my sister in law has cancer and is diabetic as well. My Brother had TB and was near death and a few months ago he got Covid and is back on oxygen.  They can't afford to get sick again. 

Contributor

Well, my husband sustained a spinal cord injury about 18 months ago, so EVERYTHING in our lives has changed.  But, I am more cognizant of how fragile and precious life is and how life can change in an instant.  I think I take my familly and my mobility less for granted than i used to.  I am thankful for what we still have, and we still have each other!

I am back to hosting Thanksgiving for aobut 20 people, which is a lot of work but fun, too.

Esteemed Contributor

The only change is that I have 2 grandkids since 2019 that joined us.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch
@gidgetgh
@arrabella
@buyornot

I'm sorry for your losses.

If you're interested, the other board has a separate section for widows that you'd probably find helpful. Google Q friends forum.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our lives have been quiet for so many years, the mandatory Covid restrictions only affected us as far as mask wearing, and we continue to live the same lifestyle.  

I ended 2017 with a gaping incision on my leg from glue that did not hold after knee replacement.  I was not out around others from mid November until February 15th when my wound was fully closed.

Fall of 2018, a pressure sore appeared on my husbands foot that required 3 trips to the ER; one during a major snowfall before Christmas.  

2019 started with major turmoil from the pressure ulcer, and an amputation.  We dealt with that medical issue for 364 days until my husband was released by the surgeon.  

From October thru December I stocked my house as usual to avoid going out in flu season.  As Covid continued to spread thru the first months of 2020, I sensed the need to continue to venture out and buy more food and supplies.  

As soon as the word pandemic was mentioned as a possibility in the US, I hit the grocery store one more time with a BIG haul on the Wednesday before panic shopping ensued.  We were in super good shape during the shutdown and I continue to keep us well stocked.   

Esteemed Contributor

I've appreciated reading all your stories. Thanks for being so open. For me, Thanksgiving days were all very festive with at least 12 family and friends around my big dining table and staying all day. Now we're down to 5. Our lives have changed so much here, but we're grateful for what remains.

Happy Thanksgiving!
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We've never changed any of our plans. Pandemic or no pandemic. We were the only ones still celebrating together during ths nightmare. No one ever got sick. So glad we didn't let this nonsense bother us. Woman Happy

You're very lucky. I don't consider it nonsense that 900,000 people died including one of my best friends, 2 uncles, cousins, and other friends.  

Honored Contributor

Nonsense is such an awful thing to say. Living life caring only about how things affect you, well that's nonsense to say the least. I'm glad that I wasn't raised that way and I could never live my life that way.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ --and I would return that hug!! thank you!! Yes DD has been a huge comfort--- she was living with us during all that too--Except for the tree incident--just me and my stripey cat for that adventure--in fact if my cat hadn't re-acted crazy and got the heck out of that room--I would have been squashed--I actually stood up out of the way, to rush out of the room after her, as the tree fell behind me!! she kind of saved my life!!