Honored Contributor

Re: How Instacart workers get paid

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

I'd like to ask how much you guys tip your grocery delivery person? TIA.

@silkyk 

I average around 30 items in my orders, and some of my orders are VERY heavy and include a 25lb/30lb bag of kitty litter, big container of liquid laundry soap, canned soups, gallon of milk etc etc... so for those orders I tip 20%....its worth it to me....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I love love this service.....been using insta cart for about 9 months and only one glitch....they refunded me for my next order and I requested never to have that shopper again.....been smooth sailing as they know that I prefer a certain shopper by first name I tell them and if she is working that day, I get her....she is an excellant shopper and I always give her a 5 star with an additional tip.....just my experience Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Why do I care?  No one is being forced to be an Instacart worker.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@northiie57 wrote:

I love love this service.....been using insta cart for about 9 months and only one glitch....they refunded me for my next order and I requested never to have that shopper again.....been smooth sailing as they know that I prefer a certain shopper by first name I tell them and if she is working that day, I get her....she is an excellant shopper and I always give her a 5 star with an additional tip.....just my experience Smiley Happy

@northiie57 

There was a survey by Instacart's grocery store partner here--HEB grocery which asked customers about an option allowing customers to pick a particular shopper and a particular grocery store location, but they didnt follow through with that in our area.....I guess because some shoppers wouldnt get a fair share of orders....I've gotten the same shoppers a couple of times...I guess thats because we both like to get up early and I always chose an early time slot for deliveries...LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt The guy (his name was Dan) ended up with a sprained wrist.  He went to the emergency room, called another shopper who came there, got the food and delivered it.  they taped his arm and the last I heard he went back to work there. A lot of people have taken up being shoppers.  Otherwise they are out of work.  

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I'd like to ask how much you guys tip your grocery delivery person? TIA.

@silkyk, I do 15 percent.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

Why do I care?  No one is being forced to be an Instacart worker.

@Cats3000, none of us are forced to work. But some of us do care very much about people's livelihoods. Some of these gig people might just be supplementing another income, but many depend upon the wages in order to survive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, I received my Instacart delivery thru Costco - There were 33 items - some items were 2 or 3 in a pack, ie breads, juices.

By the time I put everything in my cupboard and 2 refrigerators/freezers -- I was totally exhausted. I'm now 80 yrs young.

Costco gives them 5% tip - and I then give them a big tip when they're in my house. They thank me for the tip and I tell them that I also appreciate the delivery. I could never have driven to Costco (it's very close) - especially with the virus - wearing a mask -- and spent 1-1/2 hours pushing a cart - checking out - and driving home. No Way!!!! It's all worth it.

Honored Contributor

I order about every week to two weeks, regularly.  I wasn't going to use till I found out I got Wegmans.  Love that supermarket!  It's the northern version of Publix. It's huge.  so many variety of foods.  A good feature because it's harder to run out foods.  I joined the Express ($100.00) a year.  I have other supermarkets too.  Safeway, Aldi, some I never heard of.  Like Harris Teeter.  Others I have are Costco, BJ's Shoppers and Streets Market.  So far I've tried Aldi and Safeway.  My usual is Wegmans and sometimes Giant.  The farthest south Wegmans goes is North Carolina. 

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I order about every week to two weeks, regularly.  I wasn't going to use till I found out I got Wegmans.  Love that supermarket!  It's the northern version of Publix. It's huge.  so many variety of foods.  A good feature because it's harder to run out foods.  I joined the Express ($100.00) a year.  I have other supermarkets too.  Safeway, Aldi, some I never heard of.  Like Harris Teeter.  Others I have are Costco, BJ's Shoppers and Streets Market.  So far I've tried Aldi and Safeway.  My usual is Wegmans and sometimes Giant.  The farthest south Wegmans goes is North Carolina. 

I'm in Oxnard, southern California. My Costco orders last me around 2 to 2-1/2 months.