Honored Contributor

Re: How I was censored on NextDoor

@Sooner @No, they know I'm a person. The software is designed to keep the conversation from being repetitive from real people too. You have to give your full name and full address when you register there, plus your email. They know I'm real. They can even see my house on their neighborhood satellite map. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think it's best not to "like" on NextDoor.  I've done it a couple times and forever after I was notified by email whenever someone added a comment to the conversation.  I was interested in the topic but not THAT interested.

There's probably a way to shut off the emails but it's easier just to not "like."

@ValuSkr, once you post, you will get such notifications. But you should see at the botton of the follow-up that there is a link to no longer receive e-mails for that thread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure who moderates Next Door but the one from our old neighborhood is racist, sexist and disgusting. I belonged to it because it was helpful to keep up on what is on around the community, getting recommendations for contractors, crime updates, etc. Over the past 3 years, it has turned ugly (where I live). Many I know have stopped using it for the same reason and it was this situation that made us do this:

A post using VILE terms for those who are not white and not males was (still is) allowed to stay on the site AND the posts under it who SUPPORTED this sub-life form BUT a post asking for prayers for a womans' husband who was dyeing in the hospital was REMOVED.

When I contacted the appropriate party, I was sent a form reply stating that is "their discretion" as to what is unacceptable or not.

No, it's obvious that you SUPPORT that mind set and are anti-prayer. Got it.

I don't support Next Door in ANY WAY now. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Yes, lots of censorship.  Not the America I grew up in.  Taught school for 30 years and taught US History among other subjects and proudly taught about our freedoms and the Constitution.  Not sure I would last five minutes  in a classroom these days with my American ideals.  I will add my grandparents left with just their lives to come here. So sad.   

It wouldn't be so hard today for you, @bonnielu. You would only have to recognize that "history" doesn't discriminate between the good AND the bad. Both should be taught (age-appropriate, of course) in order for us always strive to be better.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

We periodically get flyers in our mailbox inviting us to join Next Door.  I never have, but I thought about it.  Now that I know it is owned or run by Facebook, I definately won't.

I am getting really tired of all the tracking and targeting and censorship that is going on these days.  Nothing ever changes, other than getting worse.

I really fear for the future of my grandchildren, on so many different levels.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Both myself and a couple of family members have been on ND for a few years. I rarely see any foul language and discussions, while they can get very heated, are usually fairly civilized.

One person did get banned for making some racists remarks on a day when he thought the board was not being moderated!

People find lost pets, find cleaning services, discuss local events, etc. I find our ND quite nice, actually.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops 

East or West coast now ?  We'll be down on West coast for the winter....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

There is a funny Instagram page titled "Bestofnextdoor". It points out how silly some of the nextdoor posts are.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can live without it....... I'm not that crazy about it anyway.........

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

I've read Nextdoor is NOT owned by Facebook. Could you please include information that it is? Thanks.