Esteemed Contributor

Re: How I was censored on NextDoor

Thanks @Desertdi never heard of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe @They are also called cottonmouths.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@CelticCrafter @Fortunately for us, our ads are in a separate part of the site from our neighbors discussions. We only see ads placed if we want to see them. The neighbors using word of mouth has been very helpful here. 

Same here.  My NextDoor is generally helpful with no profanity and few argumentative posters.  It seems half the posts are about dogs - lost or found - and that can be tiresome but I ignore them.

Maybe one's NextDoor experience depends on how good a job the moderator does.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

7080FC79-454A-4911-AD1D-A630E5350939.jpeg

Here is one on a neighbor's driveway or pool patio.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  There is probably a feature that prevents people from sending everyone a spam message.  It engages when duplicate statements in posts  are made within a certain time period.

I wonder if You post " Thank you" you will get the same message.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I don't think so. I've seen thank yous. I think they use bots that work with algorithms. I think theither algorithms allow thank yous. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, lots of censorship.  Not the America I grew up in.  Taught school for 30 years and taught US History among other subjects and proudly taught about our freedoms and the Constitution.  Not sure I would last five minutes  in a classroom these days with my American ideals.  I will add my grandparents left with just their lives to come here. So sad.   

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Desertdi @So funny. I'm censored for not varying my word pattern enough when saying I was sorry to two snakebite victims but others can cuss each other out. What a country! 

@Mindy D @Desertdi I am guessing the software assumes because of the similarity that you are a robot not a person. 

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Thanks @Desertdi never heard of them.

You must not have grown up in the South ....

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@CelticCrafter @Fortunately for us, our ads are in a separate part of the site from our neighbors discussions. We only see ads placed if we want to see them. The neighbors using word of mouth has been very helpful here. 

@Mindy D it wasn't even neighbors asking for a recommendation or using word of mouth, it was the actual contractors, etc. using the site for free advertising.