Honored Contributor

Re: How I was censored on NextDoor

I have tried next door and signed off, both in the LI neighborhood I left last year and now in my south Florida neighborhood.  

If what I have seen in those boards is typical of many Facebook sponsored groups, I am happy not to go there.  I left both because they were more work to read than the info in them was worth.   

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D   I realize that this was not the point of your post, but the first victim that said her ER visit came to $184,000 was just saying that was the total if she didn't have insurance coverage?  I'm assuming and hoping she did.  🐍🤕👩‍⚕🏨

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy @My neighbors have posted extremely helpful information. They immediately post if there is anything suspicious going on. They post about any crimes. They post to help each other find really good home services companies, auto repairs, doctors, dentists. They give away unbelievable, EXPENSIVE furniture for free. They are respectful of each other. They alerted me that my homeowners association was trying to build a clubhouse for 8 million dollars and that we could let our reps know our feelings about the build before the repsresentatives on the board vote on it. The homeowners contacted their reps and made and made their voices heard. The clubhouse build was nixed. They have joined together to go to the mayor's office and to the county to solve traffic conditions arising from school drop off times. We have good people living in these developments. They are smart and savvy. They also help people find home caregivers, help for elderly and disabled, optometry and hearing aid places, auto detailing, auto repair, dog walkers, hair dressers, local restaurants, lawn and garden maintenance, painters, roofing companies, impact glass window companies. They make warning posts whenever a company rips them off. They post about every security consideration. 

I would have not known how the water moccasin population has recently exploded if it wasn't for ND. . I'm surrounded by water. I know to keep my eyes peeled. We have never had a water moccasin situation even close to what's going on now.

I would like to get off ND due to its association with FB, but there's too many things that I've learned on it that have really helped me. I keep going back and forth in my mind about staying in or not. 

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB @She didn't say whether she had insurance but she probably does. She went to the hospital I usually use. They have antivenin for moccasin bites on hand there. Antivenin is very expensive. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  This has been an eye-opening post, which has been so helpful to me. I've recently been asked to be a Lead on Nextdoor and am signed up for an on-line Seminar next week, which conflicts with a book discussion I really want to attend.

This post has changed my priorities and I've deleted my calendar of the Nextdoor on-line seminar. I'm going to the book discussion instead and will enjoy it so much more!!

Thanks for your comments. I had no idea what I was about to become involved in. Didn't have a clue Nextdoor was part of Facebook, which I have avoided like the plague . . . yet it almost got me! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

What is a moccasin?

Minnetonka Suede Leather Moccasins - Kilty, Size 7-1/2 Medium, Brown?????

Honored Contributor

I removed myself from our neighborhood Next Door when it turned into one big advertising site for local contractors, landscapers, electricians, etc., etc.

Honored Contributor

This is a water moccasin→

Visual search query image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter @Fortunately for us, our ads are in a separate part of the site from our neighbors discussions. We only see ads placed if we want to see them. The neighbors using word of mouth has been very helpful here. 

Honored Contributor

AE16BE03-ABAD-4274-B926-CEE689823D75.jpeg