Honored Contributor

Re: How I was censored on NextDoor

@Mindy D wrote:

@colliemom4 

i found this. "Who owns NextDoor."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwipp-i0m7fzAhXOmeAKHcPVC4MQ...

@Mindy D  That's interesting. It's easy to get them confused because their names are so similar. Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Okay, that's just beyond stupid.  Must be their censoring software has some glitches.

I just signed up on NextDoor a few months ago, and am dissppointed it isn't easier to navigate.  I am baffled.

However, the comments from the "regulars" and some issues that come up are both interesting ... and a hoot!   It's sort of like eavesdropping on your neighbors that you've never been introduced to!  

Anyway, it seems like you cannot use a nickname ... they post your real name!  That surprised me.

Respected Contributor

I mostly just read my local NextDoor site to find out what's going on in & around my area.  I've found a couple of good local trades-people to do work around my house for reasonable prices, too. 

A lot of the posts seem to be folks reporting seeing rattlesnakes, bobcats & coyotes in & around their vicinity (I live in AZ.  It's like Duh!  The critters were here first).  No matter how many people report their small pets being snatched or nearly snatched out of their yards by predators, there's always someone reporting that they've now lost a pet or had one attacked & warning others. They never learn, sadly....   

Some of the folks on there seem a bit clueless.

Esteemed Contributor

I only read our NextDoor   

I'm not sold   I may unjoin  Not really liking what I read

Esteemed Contributor

Our Nextdoor is filled with pettiness and multiple photos of dog poop on yards.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  Thanks for the update. I plan to reconsider and attend the on-line seminar. When going through the previous interviews and testing, I didn't get the feeling anyone was "testing" or "judging" me. Perhaps other people in Nextdoor recommended me as a Lead? IDK. I try to be fair, kind, honest and helpful with my comments.

Our Nextdoor is excellent when it comes to helping neighbors recommend good contractors for home repairs, yard work, snow removal, etc. We've even recommended Independent and Assisted Living facilities, as well as all type of physicians. It's been a good source of information.

Rarely do we have missing pets. I've never seen foul language on our site. Have seen paint spraying, car break-ins, and other minor infractions which needed to be reported to the Police (as well as alerting neighbors on Nextdoor) so they can patrol the areas and log it in their statistics. It all helps to fight crime if every incident is reported, which people don't seem to realize does help the Police Dept.  

I do, however, keep my comments (and incoming posts) limited to those in my own neighborhood! Since using real names, I certainly don't want to be chatting with people in various parts of the community for safety reasons. 

All-in-all, it seems to be a helpful part of our community and if I can contribute to it in a good way, I probably will.

I cannot find anything about it being a part of Facebook in the invitation to become a Lead, which give me a much better feeling about the entire program. It seems to be run locally for the most part, which I really like.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady @I did much more research into it yesterday. It appears to still be owned by four persons. It is soon to be merged with a big corporation. Take a look on the Wikipedia page for NextDoor and then see the big company it is merging with. I'm not so sure I'd want to be a part of that big company. Take a look at all the holding this giant has. I get the feeling, from the range of its holding that Big Brother will be monitoring us even more than it already is.

Respected Contributor

I did some research read that Facebook is starting a clone of Nextdoor called Neighborhood. 

I've found Nextdoor to be somewhat helpful, but sometimes petty.
Our Nextdoor moderator clamps down on all of the hateful and vulgar posts on our site. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva  I'm confused how Leads are able to do so IF they are volunteers who live locally.

I certainly don't intend to spend any more time on Nextdoor than I currently do . . . which is to check in once a day to see what's going on in the Neighborhood. If someone does complain about something (which I don't expect), I'll deal with it fairly but can't imagine having to shut anything down. Ours is a nice friendly group of citizens who don't make waves or create issues. There are discussions, but nothing foul or obscene that I've ever read (usually after the fact since I'm only on once per day). 

If it were to become full of discourse, uncivil or unruly, I would not be interested in reading it daily. And certainly would not care to participate as a Lead. This is an interesting dilemma which I must face before deciding if this is really something worth beginning. Don't want to back out when the going gets rough!

More questions to ask at the on-line seminar!

Money screams; wealth whispers.