Honored Contributor

Re: How I Stopped Unwanted Phone Calls

I have the Panasonic. Model: KX-TG 47348- one base station with 4 extra handsets purchased  WalMart $100.

Esteemed Contributor

Just an FYI for those who use Digitone Call Blocker Plus.  They're coming out with a new model in the fall that blocks up to 1,000 numbers - Digitone Pro Series Blocker.  I'm very happy to read this because I've already run out of space in the current model which only blocks 140 numbers.  The new one also has more programming capability.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@qvcfreak wrote:

What can you do when you think it's someone you know but they somehow it's not the person you thought but a telemarketer. I've even had incoming calls from my own number. I think they are getting smarter as you won't block your friends numbers. 

@qvcfreak, with this phone if you answer and it turns out to be a telemarketer you can just press the call block button even though the call is "active".  Or, you can hang up like you normally would then go to the CID list and block the number from there.

I don't know what would happen if you tried to block a call that came in displaying your phone number but instinct tells me your carrier's system would know it is not a call from yourself to yourself.  At worst it just would not register when you tried to block the number.

Thanks, I will try it out

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I learned after living enough years that there's only one way to stop unwanted phone calls.

You die.

That may work for you but my dad passed in 1986 and we would occasionally receive calls for him up until the time we moved to another state in 2007.  Didn't happen often but it did happen.  We'd get junk mail addressed to him too.

YOU get the calls - not your passed on loved one. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

I haven't read all of the replies...just sticking my 2 cents in, lol.  We purchased a CPR Callblocker and it has worked wonders.  I can block individual numbers, but I can also block entire area codes.  I think blocking the area codes has made the biggest difference.

I have a Comcast phone, and I think the device is geared toward copper line phones.  So, it has a few quirks.  But, between their customer service, and the instruction manual, we've been able to work around most of the quirks.

We now go as much as a week without a spam call.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Marp!

We have the Panasonic model KX-TG6512 and I just looked through the instructions and it can block 30 numbers, so in addition to Verizon's 100 and another phone in basement that can also block 30, that's160 calls!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I learned after living enough years that there's only one way to stop unwanted phone calls.

You die.

That may work for you but my dad passed in 1986 and we would occasionally receive calls for him up until the time we moved to another state in 2007.  Didn't happen often but it did happen.  We'd get junk mail addressed to him too.

YOU get the calls - not your passed on loved one. 

NOPE, the calls came in for HIM not me, I just answered the phone.  No different than if a telemarketer asks for the man/woman of the house when a woman/man answers.  That call is for the particular person not the one that answered.  Nor is it any different than when a call comes in for a family member and another household member answers.  The call is for the individual not the one answering the call.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

Having a cell phone only is not a sure fire way to,stop unwanted solicitation calls.  I know because I do get these calls on my cell and it is on the Do Not Call list.  I don't get them often but I do get them.  If you haven't gotten any you are just lucky.

THIS.

I get a fair amount of robo-dialed spam calls on my cell, and I am definitely on the Do Not Call lists for home & cell.

@Moonchilde  Same here....be it cell phone or landline I get them on both numbers......AND like you both numbers are on State and National Do Not Call Registries......

I got so tired of getting robo calls from one nationally known insurance company that you would think would be above board and obey telemarketing laws kept calling offering a comparison quote when I never had a relationship with that company nor have I requested a quote from that company or any other company---I've stuck with a different company since i started driving..Robo calls are illegal in my State too..I never answered these calls but they left voicemail messages.....so since reporting the number to the National Do Not Call website did not stop these robo calls I wrote a complaint on the Better Business Bureau website.... I got a call from their Regional Director who apologized and said it was one of his agents in the area and he said the calls would definitely stop ...... AND they did Woman Very Happy 

A website folks might find helpful is WHO CALLED ME when you get a call from a number you don't recognize....

https://www.whocalledme.com/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I have an older Panasonic set and it blocks up to 250 calls.  

If I don't Recognize the number I'll let it ring - sometimes it's a legitimate number that I don't recognize.  With the advent of more and more new cell numbers, you don't know who is who.

Another suggestion is doing a reverse look up on whitepages.com.  You usually an find out if the number is a scam or not.  If it is a reported scam number, block it.

I definitely have used internet look-up when I wanted a clue as to whether a number was legit or canvassing/spamming. Often you can just enter the number in the search bar and get that info. It might not tell you exactly who is calling, but it will tell you that many others were called by that number, so...

A lot of people had taken the time to report the number as a scam and I've done the same. Feb-April were the worst because of tax season - lots of phony IRS and product pitches.

True. People will report, for example "This is Comcast" or the SPCA, or whatever, and then you know.

What would really annoy me is getting repeated, as in twice a night for two weeks straight, no lie - calls from a concert venue that wanted me to buy season tickets because I had bought *a* ticket previously. They left a message, *every* time. For two weeks. And this didn't give them a clue I was not interested? I picked up one night and gave them a large, angry earful. The calls stopped.

@Moonchilde @MyGirlsMom  Now charity calls are not covered under the robo call laws, as are political calls (so be prepared since this is an election year---Lord have mercy on us all---LOL).....but the charity calls I get annoyed at are organizations that hire people to telemarket donations and these people get a portion of the donations they receive (there was an article in Good Housekeeping a good while back).....normally the people connected with the organzation itself are polite and when you say sorry I'm not interested, they apologize for the inconvenience and hang up.....but these "hired folks" are really pushy and won't take no for an answer....one kept calling (I recognize her name and voice she calls so frequently even though I asked to be taken off her list)....I told her first of all I would never give a stranger a credit card number over the phone.....and then I told her when I say NO THANK YOU I MEAN IT....and what is your cut of the donations anyway.....she hung up and never called back....LOL!

Another trick a friend uses is to start talking about her religious affiliation and her  beliefs---they will hang up on you so fast---LOL.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Our biggest nuisance phone calls are between now and the next election in November from the political party...just off the charts! 

I will have to tell my DH about some of the suggestions posted in this thread. We have maxed out on our available blocked numbers...*rolls eyes*