Honored Contributor

Re: How Have You And Your Spouse Always Differed?

I like to talk and my husband doesn't.He is happy going about his day with only necessary conversation.I like to shoot the breeze as they say.He often pretends that he doesn't hear me so he can avoid conversation.He is terrible when we have company...he wants them to come over to watch tv with him.When we were first married I used to try to talk to him in the morning and he would just raise his newspaper higher so I couldn't see his face...like that fooled me.I knew he was there and would bat the paper down.

Trusted Contributor

Gee golly o molly  I think we are in a group marriage!!Woman LOL------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

@ECBG.  ...   Unfortuntely, we were like night/day, black/white 

oil/water, hot/cold...not a good combo for sure...

they say opposite attract, maybe so but as time 

time and years went by, we might as well have been  

on different continents, or planets!  It certainly does

work for many.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Forty-four years ago we were quite different but now we've adopted each other's bad habits.  

@tansy---You "sweep it under the carpet", accept it quietly even though you think "HOW could..."),  or you tolerate it?

Honored Contributor

Pretty much if you can name it, we're different.   I'm a saver; he's a spender.   I'm a thinker; he's a doer.   I'm quiet; he's loud.   I'm a loner; he loves crowds.   I love to stay home; he loves to go.   I'm a very detailed person; he pays no attention to details.   He's a box thinker; I think outside the box.   I have a knack for remembering LOTS of numbers; he can barely remember our home phone number.   He's a smoker; I hate cigarettes.   

Despite our differences, we balance each other, and are a great team; he is the only man for me.   We worked hard, built a great life, and have raised two beautiful girls who are an interesting combination of the two of us!   

Honored Contributor

DH is 6' 1".

I am not.  Nor even close, not even in the ballpark.  Big difference.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I, on the surface, are nothing alike.  We don't like the same music, TV shows, movies, sports, etc.  We really share no similar interests at all, lol.  And, our personalities are polar opposites.  We can't even ever agree on what the temperature on the thermostat should be.  But, we were 17 and 19 when we met.  We've been together over 40 years and married over 37 years.  And, despite our differences, we love each other deeply.

I think the similarities are below the surface.  We've survived through a lot of bad times, and knew how to pull together.  We have the same values and similar life goals.  We raised a beautiful daughter together and have two grandbabies that we love to the moon and back.

I think it works because we are so different.  When one of us is having a bad time, the other is always there to give support.  What is a strength for one of us is a weakness for the other, and vice versa. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we are from different social backgrounds -- 40 years ago young & stupid I loved him -- it didn't matter...BUT now we are together 24/7:

YIKES!!!! I sometimes wonder why my eyes haven't rolled out of my head by now!!!👀  He's very introverted has few acquaintances and I'm very extroverted and social -- I need people! He's good though he doesn't care if I travel or go places he's not interested! 

We have both realized we have nothing in common (now that we retired and live where he picked away from my family - he has none) so we have adjusted to "roommate status" and I travel a lot while he enjoys the couch and tv. 

I find somewhere or something to do everyday.

Respected Contributor

We're very much alike.

We even finish each other's sentences sometimes.

My kids are always rolling their eyes at us because we're so corny and mushy.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

This has to be one of the most romantic posts I have ever read.....

and like the ending of When Harry met Sally....but in real life.