Respected Contributor

Re: How Have The Deaths of Your Friends/Contemporaries Affected You?

When we moved here in 2001 we made many friends at the church we attend. Quite a few have passed away since then. It's not easy, but DH and I are blessed with good health and hopefully many more years ahead. 

Esteemed Contributor

My good friend from High school and College died just over a year ago. (age 75).

She was blonde and beautiful with a warm friendly spirit but was too kind to the men in her life. 

She worked to put the first husband through college, then they divorced when he was unfaithful.

She didn’t know why she married the second, but said she didn’t love him but she was older and he took care of her. He was terribly controling which led her to drink (I found out recently). 

We had lunch with another friend around each of our birthdays.

During our time together we tried to help her and offered suggestions but they weren’t taken. She had several falls and a hip replacement that never helped much. She remained with that husband, said she was too feeble to leave.

The last fall caused brain swelling and surgery from which she never recovered. I last saw her in the hospital on life support.

My other friend and I still do our  birthday lunches, but we miss our sweet departed friend and regret that we couldn’t help her.

My friend gave me her handwritten obituary because she didn’t know what would be in the paper. It was different. She wrote:

”I have always loved the birds, I whistle and they come. When I’m not here anymore I hope to join them. So, when you look to the sky and see the birds think of me and I will see you”.

I see the birds each morning at my feeder at breakfast and think of her.

Honored Contributor

My friend died at 49. We had been friends since we were six. We drifted apart and I only found out of her illness after she had died. I still feel regret that I wasn't there for her.

Valued Contributor

I'm FB friends with many high school classmates.  Several have passed away from ages 62 to 66.  I think of how many years they worked and never got to enjoy retirement. 

So, I retired at 64. I get up every day and just am amazed that the entire day is mine to do what I want with. I'm not on anyone else's schedule or have deadlines any longer. 

Honored Contributor

My BFF died of multiple myeloma cancer in 2014.  We worked at the same company, but lived in different parts of the country.  Some years we saw each alot, some years not at all.  We were friends 25+ years.  

I've had many emotions.  I was mad at her because she was told she had 5 years and didn't say anything.  She died at 5 1/2 years.  I am over my roller coaster of emotions, but I still get really sad when I think about things.

She inspired me when I had cancer in 2015.  She had chemo and radiation throughout the 5 1/2 years.  Plus the cancer impacted her kidney function.  Her kidneys only worked at 7%.  She had to go for dialysis 3 days a week for 4 hour sessions.  Never ever did she complain.  She was cheerful and happy all the time.  Thinking what she would say helped me through my journey.  No one can take her place and that's left a huge void.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several years ago one of my “sister friends” died of ovarian cancer.  We had been so close, for so many years, in such a loving friendship.  She was a woman of strength and kindness.  She had such intense faith.  Despite being orphaned at 5 years old, she had no bitterness over any situation or toward no one.

She was a better person than me, and I learned a lot from her approach to life and people.  

“R” was so brave throughout her illness.  Close to the end of her life, we had “the talk.”  She was always positive and hopeful, I was jolted when she expressed to me she knew she would die soon.  She told me how much she treasured our friendship and said “I am going to be your angel in heaven looking over you.”  

I still miss her very much.  I never had a sister.  I have two “sister friends” left.  We tell one another how much joy we have in one another, and end every conversation with “I love you.”  Life is short; we never know at our ages (70s) when it is our turn to pass into eternal life.  I certainly value my DH, children, their spouses, and my little grandchildren, ages 11 and 6.  I don’t know if I will live to see them grown.   I express my love for all.  I tell my GS he is my favorite boy in the world.

I tell my GD she is my favorite girl in the world.  And I do express my love for my DH, my gratitude for him as such a devoted husband and father.  My children know my love for them, and I tell their spouses they are my children, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Three of my dearest and closest friends died due to breast cancer.  One was a friend of ten years, another 35 years and the third 50 years.  The last two both died in 2011, one in March the other in December.  The friend of 35 years and I, even when we lived in different states never missed one day of talking on the phone, sometimes twice a day.  That friendship affected me the most, I can still hear her laugh which was infectious.  It caused loneliness and a very deep sorrow.  I miss all of them, each had something special to offer in a friendship and I am lucky to have had them  in my life.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

Sorry about your friend’s passing.  

As for her her mom with Alzheimer’s, even if told about her daughter’s passing she might not understand, believe, or even minutes later remember.

When my mom had the disease, she kept wanting and trying to go see her mother who had passed many years earlier.  Even when I showed her the funeral remembrance card, she said: “ Why didn’t somebody tell me she had passed? “. She was found wandering in town trying to visit her mom.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz  That’s why they didn’t tell her.She would never be able to understand or process it.She never even noticed my friend was gone.She is living in her own world.So sad.

Respected Contributor

I used to post about all the travel I did with two friends.  In 2017, I lost both friends (10 months apart) and BF just died in 2018.  Two years ago I moved  (only about 50 miles away) and the other day realized that I need to become more involved in this new community (it's an over 55 community that always has events).  I can't believe that in such a short time all 3 are gone.