Respected Contributor

💊🐔💉How Factory Farms Play Chicken W/Antibiotics

[ Edited ]

I saw this on my Consumer Reports

email news letter and thought it might

be interesting to share. It's too long

to copy / paste here and too much

to summarize:

ARTICLE: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/05/perdue-antibiotic-free-chicken-meat-resistance?EXTKEY...

::

::

"An investigative article on the use of antibiotics in poultry farming"

"How Factory Farms Play Chicken With Antibiotics

And the inside story of one company confronting its role in

creating dangerous superbugs."

From the article:

"......Currently, livestock operations burn through about 70 percent of the "medically important" antibiotics used in the nation—the ones people need when an infection strikes.

Microbes that have evolved to withstand antibiotics now sicken 2 million Americans each year and kill 23,000 others—more than homicide.

Even though public health authorities from the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have long pointed to the meat industry's reliance on anti­biotics as a major culprit in human resistance to the drugs, the FDA has never reined in their use......"

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: 💊🐔💉How Factory Farms Play Chicken W/Antibiotics

One of the reasons antibiotics are needed is because the birds are packed in the chicken houses like sardines.

Free range is healthier.

Respected Contributor

I only buy antibiotic free chicken.   My butcher carries it 

Honored Contributor

I have not eaten fowl/meat or fish since the mid 1970' s.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This part surprised me:

".....And the worst part is that antibiotic use in factory farms isn't mostly a matter of keeping animals healthy.

In 1950, a pharmaceutical company called American Cyanamid—now part of Pfizer—wanted to see if giving chickens vitamin B-12 made them fatter, so it ran some experiments.

The idea seemed to work.

But the researchers soon discovered

it wasn't the vitamin that had fattened

the birds; it was traces of an antibiotic

called aureomycin.

(B-12 can be a byproduct of aureomycin production; the vitamin researchers used had come from making the antibiotic.)

This discovery revolutionized meat production.

Adding a dash of antibiotics to feed and water rations magically made birds, pigs, and cows grow plumper, saving on feed costs and slashing the time it took to get animals to slaughter.

In 1977, the General Accounting Office reported that "the use of antibiotics in animal feeds increased approximately sixfold" between 1960 and 1970. "Almost 100 percent of the chickens and turkeys, about 90 percent of the swine and veal calves, and about 60 percent of the cattle raised in the United States during 1970 received antibiotics in their feed......."

Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie, thanks so much for sharing this because it's so important.

Factory farming is essentially threatening the long term efficacy of essential antibiotics that are needed to quite literally save lives. -- It just amazes me that the FDA is playing so fast and loose with quite literally our health. 

And yes, I realize that with all the Washington politics... that it's far more complicated than just placing the blame with the FDA... there are many players behind these decisions. 

I started eating organic about ten years ago, and added "grass raised" animals to my requirements about seven years ago. -- Over the decades, I've sometimes gone the vegetarian route but eventually realized that my body did better with some meat in my diet. -- I purchase my meat locally from greenfarm markets. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Nothing new about that, they've been saying that for many years now and nothing has changed. 

Valued Contributor

Hckynut, have you seen the documentary, Food Inc.? That did it for me and I will not ear those things u mentioned either.

Valued Contributor

I meant eat!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Nothing new about that, they've been saying that for many years now and nothing has changed. 

If you read the article

youll see yes there are new things

being done which is why

I posted the article @chrystaltree.

😊