Valued Contributor

Re: How Eugenie Felt About 'Archie' Announcement at Wedding

[ Edited ]

As someone else said it was probably Fergie who protested. Eugenie seems laid back and also might have been Prince Andrew too....not a fan of either parent.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's petty and immature for any bride to get upset in this situation.  If it happened at my wedding, I'd be just be happy for them.  You'd have to be pretty insecure and/or selfish to let something like this affect you.

Odd how it's been reported this family gets upset when another family member makes an announcement or posts a picture.  Things have to be carefully scheduled so as not to steal another's thunder.  I don't see it as a big deal--especially since people were already talking about the 8 1/2 month pregnant cousin Zara at the time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I don’t give much thought or care about what goes on in the royal family, but in this case I agree with Eugenie. It was her wedding day. It was supposed to be about her and her husband. Any other announcements should have waited. 

Me too, I think this was in bad taste.  I can't imagine making any sort of announcement at someone else's wedding. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

IMHO they were not thinking about their cousin and her groom. They should have waited. And Meghan is savvy enough to know better. 

@beach-mom 

Huh?   ???  I would think HARRY would be savvy enough to know better ... if it really even mattered. 

Sometimes people are forced to announce ahead of schedule when a gossip rag has gotten the news and is already printing the story.  If that was the case, they were right to make the announcement, whatever day it was done.

Seems to me they would have gotten ALL the publicity if they waited for another day, so perhaps what I suggested is quite possible.  However, those that think they are publicity hogs will ignore that possibility.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

We don't know the reasons or the details, so once again, if you hate them the announcement seems devious, if you like or at least don't hate them, it's really not a big deal.

And really, who knows what Eugenie thinks.

@faeriemoon 

Well stated .... and I honestly don't know - or care - what Eugenie thinks.  Any number of things could have happened that day that diverted the news cycle to something else.  News happens 24/7. 

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I think it's petty and immature for any bride to get upset in this situation.  If it happened at my wedding, I'd be just be happy for them.  You'd have to be pretty insecure and/or selfish to let something like this affect you.

Odd how it's been reported this family gets upset when another family member makes an announcement or posts a picture.  Things have to be carefully scheduled so as not to steal another's thunder.  I don't see it as a big deal--especially since people were already talking about the 8 1/2 month pregnant cousin Zara at the time.  

Turn about being fair play, detractors are often lambasted for making assumptions about the duo, but it seems some significant assumptions are being made here about Eugenie (insecure, petty, selfish, immature...). Nowhere did it state she was upset. It was stated she thought they should have waited. As for family getting 'upset' at upstaging, it seems that personal events aside, where common courtesy ought to prevail but clearly doesn't always... there is some sort of either spoken or unspoken agreement that in order to facilitate the royals casting as wide a net as possible, they coordinate appearances, schedules and PR... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My guess is the minute Meghan declined a glass of wine, no less than 6 people asked if she was pregnant. To suggest she somehow upstaged Eugenie is bordering on the ridic.

Every single time we were together at family dinners and one of my sisters declined a cocktail I knew immediately she was pregnant. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Turn about being fair play, detractors are often lambasted for making assumptions about the duo, but it seems some significant assumptions are being made here about Eugenie (insecure, petty, selfish, immature...). Nowhere did it state she was upset. It was stated she thought they should have waited. As for family getting 'upset' at upstaging, it seems that personal events aside, where common courtesy ought to prevail but clearly doesn't always... there is some sort of either spoken or unspoken agreement that in order to facilitate the royals casting as wide a net as possible, they coordinate appearances, schedules and PR... 

From the OP's source:  "It did not go down particularly well with Eugenie" -- I feel that implies she was upset.  

ETA:  My adjectives (insecure, petty, selfish, immature) apply to any bride (not just Eugenie) who would get upset about something like this.  

Trusted Contributor

Royal or not royal, IMHO, it's a $%&**# thing to do at someone ELSE'S big day.  Classy people, people with common sense, people who are not self-centered KNOW better than to do something like this. 

In my world, I've seen it happen. No one was impressed or happy when it happened. Those that did it didn't care in ANY way and were angry that people were upset....tells you a GREAT DEAL about those people, doesn't it?

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@wildcat fan, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one on the planet who felt like this. A wedding is (or perhaps used to be?) an occasion to celebrate the new couple joining together, and in most cases, preparing to start their own families. In short, a family affair. I myself would have been just fine with a similar announcement from a family member - just one more happy thing to celebrate!

Today's self-absorbed bridezillas are apparently another case entirely.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien