Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You See Your Life Changing in this Decade?

I can't see out that far. Too many unexpected things happen.  I'll be happy if I stay healthy.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@nyc1 I agree, but I'm mostly talking about us as individuals and what has this time made us realize and see for ourselves going forward.

I think it will be a profound and life-altering change for many of us and also not-so-much for others.

Yes, I understand.  I feel that many people who are introspective now or re-evaluating their lives and what is important, may abandon those assessments once things return. 
I have no idea when that will be, and many lives will definitely have been changed forever, but I think the vast majority of people eventually will put this past them and just go on with their lives as they were.  We may never know.  

Respected Contributor

I turn 70 this month so if I don't catch the virus I am sure something else will go wrong.  We never know what tomorrow or today will bring but I cannot see anything really good happening in the next ten years.  My husband is not in good shape and he might think it is still fun to travel but it is not fun for me to be with him on a trip.   The only thing he wants to do it eat out.  No real conversation either.  I don't have many family or friends left so not a lot to look forward to in that respect either.  I will be happy to see churches open and safe to go to.  

Esteemed Contributor

Well, for one thing, I'll get 10 years older.  We were trying to cram a lot of activities and more travel in our next 10 years.... now that's uncertain.   My first priority is to not get Covid.   I want to actually have a future decade.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I expect things to just get better and better. 

Super Contributor

Probably buying another house, or new construction (preferably). Perhaps a baby along the way! HeartHeart I just know we're very excited to see what God has in store for the future! Heart

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I turn 70 this month so if I don't catch the virus I am sure something else will go wrong.  We never know what tomorrow or today will bring but I cannot see anything really good happening in the next ten years.  My husband is not in good shape and he might think it is still fun to travel but it is not fun for me to be with him on a trip.   The only thing he wants to do it eat out.  No real conversation either.  I don't have many family or friends left so not a lot to look forward to in that respect either.  I will be happy to see churches open and safe to go to.  

@chiclet 

I don't see much optimism here, and you are only 70! Sad for me to read.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@nyc1 I agree, but I'm mostly talking about us as individuals and what has this time made us realize and see for ourselves going forward.

I think it will be a profound and life-altering change for many of us and also not-so-much for others.

@Sooner 

Your statement "what has this time made us realize and see for ourselves going forward", got my attention. Especially the words "this time".

For many like myself, "this time" came many years ago. No, it wasn't an epidemic or a pandemic. It was facing a living or dying situation, for many of us personally. Not once, not twice, but several times.

I won't say all, because I know better from personal discussions with others. But most going through things of this nature, tend to prioritize there lives differently. Primarily, more about the now, less about the past and/or future.

For me adapting was much easier than others, mostly because of the way I have lived most of my adult life. Doing almost everything I could to keep my body well nourished with the right fuels, and also the same relating to physical fitness.

And I have said several times the quote I lived by most of my life: "man was born to live, not to prepare for life". Using that,  along with optimism each and every day, regardless of the obstacles that came my way, left/leaves me with very little to want, or need, to change.

As I watched and talked with others that wanted to "change or quit this/stop doing that/overcoming their need to"? I could relate to many because I had dealt, or was dealing with, changing or dealing, with most of those "this and that's.  Lost count of how many things I quit because they were bad "for me", but easy? No.

Said in my original post what I might envision in this decade for me. But as one that looks only at the present, and very, very near future? If I am able to do

tomorrow what I can do today. Add them 1 day at a time and that is my view of this decade, and it will be a happy decade for me.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

@chiclet 

I don't see much optimism here, and you are only 70! Sad for me to read.

hckynut 

Just being realistic.  When young you hope to get the job you want, meet the love of your life,  a lovely home, travel the world, have a wonderful family etc. etc.  at 70 I have missed the boat on most of those things so now just treading water till.....

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

Your "hopes" may have been those things you mentioned, mine were not. In fact, only 1 you mentioned ever entered my mind. The job I want? Nope. Meet the love of my life? Nope. Travel the world? Never a thought. Have a family? I was born with one.

Being born and raised in Public Housing Projects? The 1 thing I worked for, starting at a very young age, was a house for my mom. At age 14, with the help of 2 of my 3 older sisters, we were able to accomplish that for our mother.

Most of my life evolved around the day I was living, looking only at the near future. Maybe a few months ahead, never years ahead. How and what I was doing, was much more important than what I might hope to be doing.

Education? What I wanted was to live and learn from living life, not learning about things in which I had little to no interest. My education background bears that out. Could I have made more money? Sure, even working my blue color jobs. But again, living how I chose to live was way more important than having or saving more money.

At 81 I don't feel I missed out on anything. Do I wish I had done some things differently? Of course, but not a one of them would change the way I live my life now. Walking on a Treadmill to nowhere, similar to your comment? Heck no! I enjoy each day as it comes, with no thoughts of what might have been.

Your dreams were much more extravagant than mine, and much less realistic from where my dreams of my future began. My life is not one many would dream about, but some my age maybe wish they were still able to physically do the things I find fairly easy. 

I hear the word "lucky" quite often, but luck was a very small part, when it comes to still being able to enjoy each day as it comes. To me, every day for most, is what they choose to make it. If at age 70 it isn't?

My hope's center around having another tomorrow with the ones I love.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)