Trusted Contributor

Re: How Do You Recycle Glass Bottles?

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @lovescats  and @alarmclock  for the information about broken glass contaminating the entire truckload of recyclables.  I'm going to have to research this a little bit more and then decide if I want to recycle my glass.

We are supposed to recycle but they don't want it!  That puzzles me.

Honored Contributor

I really don’t have as many glass containers to even recycle as I do plastic...and tins of cardboard and paper. Our stuff all goes in together.... it I have so few glass things I usually wrap them in the paper and then put inside a box that won’t cut down
Honored Contributor

I think I spent half my childhood picking up glass bottles and cashing them in!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I donated almost all of my glass vases...the cheap ones that flowers come in...and am now using big Mason jars instead. I cut down the flowers to fit and put some jute or cotton ribbon around the top....very pretty...I still have a nice crystal vase I use for roses..which isn’t often!

Honored Contributor

The place we take our garbage also recycles, glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, metal cans, dried up paint in cans,etc. The glass will get broken, don't worry about it.

Esteemed Contributor

Does your city have businesses to take them or ones near you and you get money for them.  I take a walk at an outside mall and pick them up. My son has a big trailer and he takes me once a month. The place near me closed. That extra money helps.

Respected Contributor

I can't help you.   We can't put glass in our city recylcing bin.   We have to take glass items to a municipal recycling center that accepts glass.   

Honored Contributor

I never thought or worried about that🤔🤔🤔. Maybe you are over thinking that!

Honored Contributor

i just put mine into our mixed recycling bins that get picked up once a week.

they usually dont break, but i have had a few instances where they have broken.

no issues as far as i know with the men who work those trucks and handle the containers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

so what is the bottle break, they are in recycling and broken glass gets recycled too.

Da