Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Handle a Friend Who Constantly Interrupts?

So, I wanted to report back.  The two friends and I met yesterday.  The one friend and I tried to really focus more on one another (more eye contact), to help each of us tune out the constant interruptions.  It was going OK, until it was my turn to tell about something.  In typical fashion, the bombarding of interjections and interruptions ensued.  I looked at our friend (wasn't close enough to reach out and touch her arm) and said, "Just listen, and all of your questions will probably be answered."  I didn't snap or get huffy, was just matter of fact.  She jerked her body upright, as if to be surprised, but she smiled and said, "OK".  When she went to the ladies room, the other friend looked and me, shook her head and commented how exhausting things can be.  I told her I just had to finally say something and she replied that she was glad I did.  We have each other's back on this.  It's a start.  We'll see what happens when we get together in May. 

Thanks to all who participated with their input and suggestions.  😊

Honored Contributor

The way I feel today, be thankful for this friend.  Tolerate her, she may need the attention.  Some people talk (that way) because of low self-esteem.  A friend today, may be as rare as gold.

But that's just me, today.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

sometimes when 3 people are in a conversation, the only way to get a word in edgewise is to interrupt because the others do not pause enough to take a breath and do not include the 3rd person in the conversation. It just feels that this person is isolated in her life and exclusion from conversation may be included in this isolation.

@qualitygal wrote:

The way I feel today, be thankful for this friend.  Tolerate her, she may need the attention.  Some people talk (that way) because of low self-esteem.  A friend today, may be as rare as gold.

But that's just me, today.  

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch ... I'm honored to know you.  YOU listened and determined best how to take steps to include your friend in a new way and did not give up.  Others will follow in your footsteps and hopefully, your get togethers will become even more meaningful.

I can be overlly optimistic at times, however, that was great. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

I would probably not have become friends with such an annoying person in the first place. But - since she's in a group with you and others - I'd give her the stink eye whenever she makes an inappropriate interruption; eventually she'll get the hint.

Honored Contributor

@kindred cats wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch ... I'm honored to know you.  YOU listened and determined best how to take steps to include your friend in a new way and did not give up.  Others will follow in your footsteps and hopefully, your get togethers will become even more meaningful.

I can be overlly optimistic at times, however, that was great. Cat Happy

I'm humbled,  Thank you 😊 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I think your approach was good.  If she is a good friend she will  make an effort  to listen. It may take some time for her to break her habit.... but, in the end, I think you did her a favor.     

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I met a girl once and we started hanging out a little but every conversation was about her and I couldn't get a word in ever.

I finally said something once, we were having lunch and I said you never let me say anything and she got mad and said well if you weren't so boring.... she got up and walked out! lol 

Some people just want someone to listen to their problems, they don't care about you!  

If someone says something that I don't like I will say something. I can't be shy about it. I've had friends over the years that have done something that is embarrasing or mean I will tell them. 

I had a friend that would drink too much and then say awful things in the elevator when we left a bar. I was afraid those men in the elevator would come after us. I stopped running around with her. Life is too short to be with "friends" that aren't nice. 

Valued Contributor

When the interrupter takes a breath, the interrupted could say, "As I was saying," and continue what they were saying.

Respected Contributor

My daughter-in-law is a chatterbox who NEVER shuts up (I'll bet she talks in her sleep). She talks a mile a minute, interrupts, talks over everyone, etc. Because she's family, I can't do much about it without alienating her, my son, etc. I've resigned myself to the fact that she is the way she is, and if I want peace in the family I'm just going to have to put up with it.