Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Handle Young Adult Children Living at Home

Fourpaws, oh your grandchildren are so lucky!!!! How comforting to have Grandma under the same roof!

Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2015 fourpaws said:
On 4/2/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

Ditto, fourpaws! My kids will ALWAYS have a home. How wonderful that you live with your son and his family; I'm sure they're happy to have you.

I would've LOVED having a grandparent in the home! I would've loved having a grandparent, period!

I LOVE living with DS and Family. I share a room with my 2 year old GS,{#emotions_dlg.wub} we read and play every night before bed, it's the best! and they love Grandma's cooking!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

You are blessed! When I was small before my parents added an addition to the house, I shared my bedroom with my grandma. I have wonderful memories. She taught me to knit, crochet and sew. I was actually sad when I got my own bedroom...
Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

Ditto, fourpaws! My kids will ALWAYS have a home. How wonderful that you live with your son and his family; I'm sure they're happy to have you.

I would've LOVED having a grandparent in the home! I would've loved having a grandparent, period!

I LOVE living with DS and Family. I share a room with my 2 year old GS,{#emotions_dlg.wub} we read and play every night before bed, it's the best! and they love Grandma's cooking!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

You are blessed! When I was small before my parents added an addition to the house, I shared my bedroom with my grandma. I have wonderful memories. She taught me to knit, crochet and sew. I was actually sad when I got my own bedroom...

Hi SR Smile I grew up with my paternal grandmother living with us until her death. I loved her so much, too, and she taught me many things.

Our daughter lived at home when she was finishing her graduate school dissertation, and it was the same time I had a massive heart attack.

She and I are very close, she was devastated. She took over all the cooking until I recovered and stayed until she found lucrative employment. We had such fun and she became a very accomplished cook which has served her well in other areas of her life.

We never charged her rent or utilities, but she did pay for her phone and all personal costs. I always thought her education came first and it has paid off for her, she is incredibly intelligent.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2015 NoelSeven said:

Hi SR Smile I grew up with my paternal grandmother living with us until her death. I loved her so much, too, and she taught me many things.

Our daughter lived at home when she was finishing her graduate school dissertation, and it was the same time I had a massive heart attack.

She and I are very close, she was devastated. She took over all the cooking until I recovered and stayed until she found lucrative employment. We had such fun and she became a very accomplished cook which has served her well in other areas of her life.

We never charged her rent or utilities, but she did pay for her phone and all personal costs. I always thought her education came first and it has paid off for her, she is incredibly intelligent.

Noel, I will always remember when you came back after your heart attack. As usual, you approached it like you do everything.....with a positive attitude making the best out of a very difficult situation. I was hospitalized for malignant hypertension because my kidneys are giving me trouble making me have erratic blood pressure readings. I can hardly complain because I've done relatively well after more than 40 years of diabetes. I hope I can just approach this with the same fortitude you have had in your life. So far so good and I won't need dialysis.

Your daughter is a dream! I envy your closeness. My daughter and I rarely see each other because she owns a firm now and with her travel schedule, she is very busy. I miss the closeness we had when she was in high school. The entire thing is bittersweet.

Honored Contributor

Noel, I will always remember when you came back after your heart attack. As usual, you approached it like you do everything.....with a positive attitude making the best out of a very difficult situation. I was hospitalized for malignant hypertension because my kidneys are giving me trouble making me have erratic blood pressure readings. I can hardly complain because I've done relatively well after more than 40 years of diabetes. I hope I can just approach this with the same fortitude you have had in your life. So far so good and I won't need dialysis.

Your daughter is a dream! I envy your closeness. My daughter and I rarely see each other because she owns a firm now and with her travel schedule, she is very busy. I miss the closeness we had when she was in high school. The entire thing is bittersweet.

SR, I didn't realize how ill you have been, I am so sorry! I do understand the feeling of living with the Sword of Damocles over your head. It was determined that lupus caused my heart attack, lupus is known for doing that, but what kills most people with lupus is the attack on kidneys.

How bittersweet, you raised your daughter to be intelligent and strong, but she must travel because she is such a success in her field. You did a great job, you can be so proud.

You are really a good person, it isn't fair that you have to go through all that you have. I hope you are able to have enjoyable days, there is still much to enjoy {#emotions_dlg.wub}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

SR, I didn't realize how ill you have been, I am so sorry! I do understand the feeling of living with the Sword of Damocles over your head. It was determined that lupus caused my heart attack, lupus is known for doing that, but what kills most people with lupus is the attack on kidneys.

How bittersweet, you raised your daughter to be intelligent and strong, but she must travel because she is such a success in her field. You did a great job, you can be so proud.

You are really a good person, it isn't fair that you have to go through all that you have. I hope you are able to have enjoyable days, there is still much to enjoy {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Noel, I can't put into words how much your post means to me. Smile

I am trying to go about doing everything I used to do and there are times I get angry because I can't. However, I still have my vision and can drive so I am blessed.

My grandson is living in another state, so I don't get to see him as often as I would like but my daughter is coming tomorrow and I have the house all decorated for Easter. I am looking forward to the squeals of delight when he sees it!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

Sorry for the O/T, EastCoastV-Lvr.

Reading all these replies- I really miss my grandchildren. I stay at an assisted living care facility in Idaho called Prestige Care (there is a picture of our home on this page - http://www.prestigecare.com/assisted.php?id=49 ). My grandchildren visit us once a month, but I would love more visits. It’s difficult for them too since they live in Calif. Our nurses bring their kids in from time to time, and you should see everyone’s face lighting up! We have a ton of fun activities here, but nothing beats playing with children.

Esteemed Contributor

IMO a 25 year old college graduate earning $72,000 a year and living at a parent's home for free, and having chef and maid service thrown in, is spoilt.  Life is hard, and there are student loans to be repaid, but really!  This is a breathtaking sense of entitlement.  Where is the child's concern for thier parents future wellfare.  This child will never learn to grow up.  I know this may seem a harsh assesment and yes I did raise college graduates and see them through this phase, just not like this. 

The other two kids I would cut more slack on.