Respected Contributor

Re: How Do You Feel When a Friend Constantly Corrects You?

I think it would be annoying.  If see corrects others in your group what do they think?  For me I think we need a better example of what she is correcting.

Super Contributor

I had a friend, she kept coming over unannounced after she was asked not to, she made every plan when we went to do anything, she told me...yelled once, where to park and told me all about her self, her gripes, her this her that etc. I had no say in my own life as far as she was concerned. She found herself with unanswered phone calls, unanswered doors and even when I was grabbed in a store to explain myself, she got nothing. It was over, I already had a mother, husband and employer. There were no job openings then or likely in the future. She moved on, grabbed someone else she could boss around. Friends respect each other and do not insult each other. Correcting someone once in a while is ok for some but all the time is control.

Respected Contributor

My DH and my BFF are constantly mispronouncing words, and I don't try to correct them. It just seems condescending to me.
Honored Contributor

How would I feel?  I'd feel like avoiding them for a little while. :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I don't hang around with anyone who's always correcting me..........Although, on these boards, I would appreciate posters who would correct me.  I often use slashes ( ////.)..........often don't remember which to use: 'who/whom', etc.  So, just remember me, and please do correct me anytime!! 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

ROMARY 1 wrote:

I don't hang around with anyone who's always correcting me..........Although, on these boards, I would appreciate posters who would correct me.  I often use slashes ( ////.)..........often don't remember which to use: 'who/whom', etc.  So, just remember me, and please do correct me anytime!! 

Mostly, when thinking about the who/whom thing, I think that 'whom' needs something in front of it - 

Who was that?

To whom were you speaking?

Smiley Happy    I don't remember everything anymore, but I always liked grammar.

Trusted Contributor

I sometimes mispronunce words. The friends I have would never correct me or make fun of me. That's because we are true friends that would never hurt each other's feelings. It's so rude to call you out in front of others. Maybe she is not a caring friend that would hurt your feelings.
Honored Contributor

I respond with a smile and "Whatever" and continue speaking the way I want. We all "talk" in our own language.  Either from our raising, education, location, or choice.  Maybe after a few whatevers and ignoring her corrections she'll give up. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Mostly, when thinking about the who/whom thing, I think that 'whom' needs something in front of it - 

Who was that?

To whom were you speaking?

Smiley Happy    I don't remember everything anymore, but I always liked grammar.

Who is only used in a subjective case, such as subject or predicate nominative in a sentence or clause. Whom is only used in the objective case as either a direct object, indirect object, or as the one you mentioned, the objective of the preposition. People get confused usually when the who or whom is used in a dependent clause or an interrogative sentence because sometimes the order is turned around.  

Honored Contributor

Rainy - Thanks for the WAY better explanation!  Smiley Happy  My brain isn't working very well today as I was up all night.    I'm lucky I can put two words together. hehe