Frequent Contributor

Re: How Do Sellers on Etsy and Ebay Get Away

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
My suggestion is not to buy items where you don't see an actual picture of the item for sale. Scammers will always be everywhere & its best to be proactive in making sure you don't fall victim!

--

This is good advice for an expensive or unusual item. 

On the other hand, there are many sellers on ebay who sell thousands of DVDs, some used, some overstocks and new.

It would be an enormous undertaking to take a photo of each indivual DVD and post it on a separate listing. It is much more efficient to show a stock photo of the DVD and simply list the condition of the ones being offered for sale.

Esteemed Contributor

Report them, it's illegal.  Must be a picture of the actual item.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

Report them, it's illegal.  Must be a picture of the actual item.

@barrel racer 

Not necerssarily .... if someone is selling an ordinary item that they sell repeatedly ... for instance, a new bottle of aspirin, bottle sealed .... it doesn't have to be that exact, specific bottle.     

Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo @If you ever need to replace any plate, you can rely on Replacements Unlimited, AKA Replacements Limited. They are online. Any pattern, any flatware...take it back a hundred years and you will find what you need. They have been in business a very long time.

Frequent Contributor

Mindy D, I did try Replacements, ltd., and my plate was "out of stock", but thanks for your reply.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As stated above, absolutely illegal.  I've sold on ebay since 2003 and have seen some really bad stuff.  I actually had my account taken over and a Bot was illegally listing Chanel handbags.  I actually caught it as it was just starting and they had listed about a hundred when I reported them.  Ebay went after them (from China) and I started over with a new account.  I was lucky because they were just pictures and money would be sent into the fake account and ciustomers would receive nothing.  I sold gently used high end handbags after that but would take all my own pictures and used watermarks.  I also wrote all my own copy and kept copies of it all in a file.

Years later this served me very well when I sold a Louis Vuitton that the buyer tried to get eBay to get me to refund her money.  She claimed it was fake.  It wasn't and I had proof!  At the time, eBay would decide if an item was real or fake and let the customer keep the bag with instructions to destroy it, while the seller refunded!!!  It went to arbitration and I WON the case..  I kept my money and the customer kept the bag. 

She tried to sell the bag on eBay and used  my watermarked pictures and the copy I had written (all legally under my control).  All this went into eBay as proof.  Had she asked my permission I most likely would bave said yes, but she didn't so eBay took her auction down based on my evidence.  And I was done messing with her and banned her from bidding and/or buying anything from me again.

It's fun and lucrative to sell on eBay and they work hard to uphold the law (selling Fakes is a FEDERAL crime) no one, not even a Thrift Shop can do it legally and "not knowing" it's a fake is not accepted under the law..... eBay works hard to try and keep people honest.  For the most part I think they do a pretty good job.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*