Frequent Contributor

Re: How Do Sellers on Etsy and Ebay Get Away

Ebay is good...never was unhappy with anything.
Esteemed Contributor

On FB I routinely mark them as scam and report them ( under 3 dots in upper right hand corner).
Honored Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@50Mickey The QVC overstock sellers do that and sometimes they show a picture of Deanna or Kate or another model wearing the item. They also sometimes start auctions at $0.99 and charge $15.99 for shipping (they don't combine shipping!).

@banned again 

It looks strange, but that's not a violation of Ebay's regs.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Don't know about Etsy, but ebay monitors sellers for  fraudulent claims.  Ebay will also refund money.

Brands like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes, etc, also monitor seller claims their handbags, jewelry, scarves and so on are real.  

If you stick with sellers with high ratings, above 98% and a good number of sales, you should be safe.  

@Foxxee 

Good point ....   That usually tells you most of what you need to know about a seller.  

Respected Contributor

CAVEAT EMPTOR-BUYER BEWARE 

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
My suggestion is not to buy items where you don't see an actual picture of the item for sale. Scammers will always be everywhere & its best to be proactive in making sure you don't fall victim!

This reminds me of a Judge Judy case I saw & never forgot.  A woman sold on line a phone.  It was a picture of an actual phone.  A buyer paid $99.00 for it.  The buyer received a picture of the phone (literally) She sued the buyer on Judge Judy.  The seller was a real hustler, & Judy chewed her up.  I think it was on Ebay.  The seller acted like it was all a private joke.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
My suggestion is not to buy items where you don't see an actual picture of the item for sale. Scammers will always be everywhere & its best to be proactive in making sure you don't fall victim!

This reminds me of a Judge Judy case I saw & never forgot.  A woman sold on line a phone.  It was a picture of an actual phone.  A buyer paid $99.00 for it.  The buyer received a picture of the phone (literally) She sued the buyer on Judge Judy.  The seller was a real hustler, & Judy chewed her up.  I think it was on Ebay.  The seller acted like it was all a private joke.

@songbird 

And here's a perfect example of why Ebay had to establish their Buyer Protection Plan.  

Frequent Contributor

I was trying to replace a plate that I had broken for my set to be complete.  Found the exact plate pictured , pattern, brand, measurements, etc.  So, I placed the order and received my plate.  When I opened the package, it was a completely different plate.  Contacted ebay, tried to contact seller, never heard from seller,  ebay wanted the plate returned for a refund.  Shipping was too high, so the mismatched plate went to the thrift store.  Expensive lesson learned.  And this seller had a high rating.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered 2 bags of kitty litter from a company that was on Amazon.  I only got one bag and the bag was broken spilling kitty litter all over my porch and steps.  I complained to the company and they acted like it was't a big deal.  Refused to resend the two unbroken bags ore refund me.  I reported them to Amazon & got my refund 10 minutes later.  That's why I trust Amazon over Ebay.  

Valued Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

I was trying to replace a plate that I had broken for my set to be complete.  Found the exact plate pictured , pattern, brand, measurements, etc.  So, I placed the order and received my plate.  When I opened the package, it was a completely different plate.  Contacted ebay, tried to contact seller, never heard from seller,  ebay wanted the plate returned for a refund.  Shipping was too high, so the mismatched plate went to the thrift store.  Expensive lesson learned.  And this seller had a high rating.

You could have opened a case stating your reason for return was "not as described" and seller would have been responsible for cost to return.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.