Trusted Contributor

Re: How Did You Come To Root For Your Sports Teams

[ Edited ]

I think I was born a Philly sports fan. Always loved my Flyers, Eagles, Phillies and Sixers.

My Dad took me to my first Flyers game. The job he worked at the time gave him access to season tickets for all Philly sports and my brothers had no interest in hockey, so I got to go to the Flyers games with him. He knew alot about the game which was interesting to me since his first love in sports was baseball. (Dad managed my brother's little league teams). Sadly, Dad was not alive when the Philles won the World Series in 2008, but he did get to see them win in 1980.

Respected Contributor

My cousin had a poster of Lee Mazzilli.  Remember him?  Very cute, when he was a Met.  My Dad and brother followed the  Yankees, so I watched and enjoyed both teams.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Chicago Bears, because I loved Walter Peyton, and the 80's Bears that won the Super Bowl, and I have been a fan ever since! I take a lot of slack about it too being that I live in Packer Nation! lol! Oh well....My husband is a huge Minnesota Vikings fan, so we both get a lot of slack! 

Yeah, we Viking fans living in Wisconsin have learned to take some flak from the Cheeseheads.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LyndaGee wrote:

My cousin had a poster of Lee Mazzilli.  Remember him?  Very cute, when he was a Met.  My Dad and brother followed the  Yankees, so I watched and enjoyed both teams.

@LyndaGee  HeartLee!

Valued Contributor

Great question!

Football: I didn't become a fan until 1979; I was 11 years old. I grew up in a GB Packers household but in 1979 I happened to watch the entire Cotton Bowl at my Aunt's house. The infamous "Chicken Soup Game". Watched a puny Joe Montana lead a comeback that shaped the rest of my "fanhood" life. 

Became a fan of the man, and consequently SF 49'ers fan still to this day. So grateful I got to watch so many comebacks...."The Catch".......even met Ronnie Lott and Tom Rathhman. 

**special adopted team note for the NY Giants. Watching their magic against the Patriots make them my second favorite team of all time! Smiley Very Happy

To summarize: favorite team SF 49'ers, and anyone beating the Patrots 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

My paternal grandpa took me to Cubs games whenever I visited. The game was always on. Just riding in a car, going home, with the sounds of a baseball game on the radio always brings me back and relaxes me.

My first day of preschool in California, I'm told I insisted on wearing my Chicago Cubs cap. And for me, Take Me Out to the Ball Game always goes, "And we'll root, root, root, for the Cubbies..."

Wherever I live, I support the local teams. And I don't always pay a lot of attention to sports. But the Cubs will always have a special place my heart.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

My 6th grade teacher had a tv wheeled into our classroom to watch the 1969 Mets  (vs Orioles) World Series. And I was a goner!! Woman LOL 

1969 Mets.jpg

No one in my family was into any sports teams particularly. Due to me Woman Wink-  they evolved a bit over the years.They're fair weather fans at best though.

@Ibby114  that was a time when baseball wasn't the bigger money maker it is now. Today they would never put the World Series games on during the day, not when they can air it in the evening and make more revenue from the sponsors, The games start too late for young kids who have to go to school the next day.

Honored Contributor

My favorite team is the Green Bay Packers.

I was born and raised in the surrounding Green Bay Area. My dad was a season ticket holder. I went all the home games in the 60's, 

I still follow them but not as close as I use too

Esteemed Contributor

I’m in Giants territory and I was a loyal fan but I just love the game of football and they just are so boring. I met Tom Brady in 2000 before he was The TB and he was quite nice, modest and he loves the game. I’ve met him a few times after and always a class act. So I’ve been a Pats fan and they’ve played some great football especially with the old gang. I was heartbroken when he left the Pats but I’m hoping for some exciting football when TB and The Gronk unite. So now I guess I’m a Tampa Bay fan but it doesn’t feel right. It’s fun to watch Mahomes, KC. So talented and always an electrifying performance.
Regular Contributor

@naturalfan 

What a wonderful memory with your grandfather....priceless.