Honored Contributor

How Did You Come To Root For Your Sports Teams

So I'm a Mets fan and the passing of Tom Seaver got me thinking why do we root for the teams we do? In some cities you might have two baseball, football, basketball, and hockey teams, how did you choose? Was it something instilled in you from birth, your family rooted so you did, or did you rebel and go with some other team? My father was a Yankees fan, all three of his kids turned out to be Mets fans. Usually if your a Yankees fan your a Giants, Knicks, and Rangers fan. If your a Mets fan you go with the Jets, Nets, and Islanders. I became a Mets fan because I looked up to my big brother, he was a Mets fan so was I.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Did You Come To Root For Your Sports Teams

WhenI was a kid we got one channel, yes kids one !  The New York Giants were on every week in the fall, and I just started watching, actually my mom and I became fans. Oddly enough, my dad wasn't a football fan.  I'm nothing if not loyal , and I sufferered through many years of bad sports. When my Giants won their first Super Bowl , I actually cried. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My NFL team is the Redskins (now known as the Washington Football Team)....I picked my team because I liked the players and the coach---(Joe Gibbs, the Hogs, Art Monk, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Dave Butz, Monte Coleman....even crazy Riggo)....I am NOT even from there, visted there once .....Although we fans have suffered through very rough and hard times for 28 years, last Super Bowl was in 1992, Im still a loyal fan.....Ryan Kerrigan current favorite....

My NBA Team is my hometown Spurs----but again it's because of the great guys on the team and they do so much in the community too, plus 5 championships doesnt hurt either Smiley Wink .....Patrick "Patty" Mills and Lonnie Walker IV are current favorites....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was a kid, I picked the Dallas Cowboys*. Why? Because I liked their colors and logo. Smiley LOL

*not from there and don't root for any team now

Honored Contributor

Chicago Cubs because I watched the games with my Grandpa.  Boston Celtics because a boyfriend was a fan.  Minnesota Vikings because I just don't know any better.

Esteemed Contributor

In our Family we’ve always rooted for The Dallas Cowboys and The Houston Oilers.  We lost the Houston Oilers and we all became hardcore Cowboy Fans. We watch both  The Texans and the Cowboys now but we root for The Cowboys. 

Honored Contributor

When I was growing up in the late fifties my Dad was a big Yankee fan. I would watch the games every week with him.

As I got older there were more important things going on. 

When I married my first husband we moved to Miami as he was finishing college. He was a football nut. Miami got a football team, the Dolphins. When they had their undefeated season I was so happy. Dan Marino is my favorite sports person. 

Trusted Contributor

I didn't get to pick or think about it. I was born a Yankees fan. My birthday suit had pinstripes. I'm not loopy about it, I just care about them winning, always believe in their excellence, familiar with the players names and strengths, maybe their stats. I've never seen any game in person in Yankee Stadium, but they will always be my favorite team. 

I certainly  want the Mets to win because they are a NY team, but I'm not a Mets fan, I don't follow their games, I couldn't name 3 players for the Mets. Still, I am sad Tom Seaver has died. 

I don't watch other sports with any level that would include rooting for a particular team, so I have no other favorites as a New Yorker. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hometown teams - Royals baseball (terrific management), KC Chiefs football (players are generous in our community) Sporting KC Soccer. Sometimes when favorite players are traded to other teams, I like to follow them on their new teams (Lorenzo Cain & Mike Moustakis - Brewers and Ben Zobrist - Cubs). While passing through Minnesota in 2015, we popped into Twins great urban stadium. Torri Hunter, a fan favorite, and terrific people we sat around made for a great game. A special place in my heart for the Twins. I like to look across the state and keep my eye on the STL Cardinals. Always want them to do well.        

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

When you are born in Pittsburgh, PA area, you are a Steelers, Penguins, Pirates fan and ya' bleed Black & Gold no matter where you live now.  As Lady Gaga sang, "Baby I was born this way...."