Honored Contributor

Re: How Did You Come To Root For Your Sports Teams

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I'm a Mets fan and the passing of Tom Seaver got me thinking why do we root for the teams we do? In some cities you might have two baseball, football, basketball, and hockey teams, how did you choose? Was it something instilled in you from birth, your family rooted so you did, or did you rebel and go with some other team? My father was a Yankees fan, all three of his kids turned out to be Mets fans. Usually if your a Yankees fan your a Giants, Knicks, and Rangers fan. If your a Mets fan you go with the Jets, Nets, and Islanders. I became a Mets fan because I looked up to my big brother, he was a Mets fan so was I.

@Jordan2 

I've always wondered that ....  Since I'm not a sports fan, I've never been able to just randomly pick a team I cared about.   

The ONLY genuine rooting I do is for the United States when the Olympic games are being televised.  

Trusted Contributor

Basically just root for our home town teams. I just stay local and loyal to them! 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

"that was a time when baseball wasn't the bigger money maker it is now. Today they would never put the World Series games on during the day, not when they can air it in the evening and make more revenue from the sponsors, The games start too late for young kids who have to go to school the next day."

@Jordan2 

We have had consumer priced "time shifting" devices since the late 1960's. Starting with Betamax and the VHS/VCR's. Nowadays? Many cable and Satellite company's have built not just a Receiver, but also a thing called a DVR.

Time of events makes no difference and that tilts the weight of sponsors to televising at all times during a 24 hour period. 

There is not a single show ot sports event that I watch live. Mainly because I like to choose watching them at MY time, not a time chosen team's or sponsors.

Plus the commercial skip, and FF features make it even better. I 1 hour show can be watched in 45 minutes or less. Not selling anything here, just a reminder of technology that has been around now for 50 years.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Instilled from birth. I've always lived in the same regional area, and my parents did too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Occasional Contributor

Where I'm from, I don't think it's a choice, it happens in the womb. Childbirth is quite difficult with that cheesehead and all . Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I didn't follow the NFL till I got married.  Hubby was a big Dallas Cowboy fan.  We listened to the games on the radio because we didn't have a TV yet.  The old Texas stadium wasn't even built yet.  They played in Cotton bowl.