Respected Contributor

Re: How Did I Manage to Get a Dumb Alexa?

@CLEM wrote:

I am so glad I never got one of these things.  She would definitely have trouble with my German accent. 

Apparently she can't handle a Boston one either!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, training and practice helps.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235916/how-to-improve-your-amazon-echo-experience-by-training-it-to-your-v...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I've had my Alexa for a couple of years now (not long after they first came out).  No problem here.

@Annabellethecat66  I got my Echo in the first batch shipped and love it.  I'm listening to music on it right now.  It's on and working about 18 hours a day in my house. 

Annabelle, maybe she doesn't speak Virginian.  I often find machines don't "get" my Texas accent. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Siri and I are very compatible except for one thing, she can NOT understand me when I say my DH's name!  Of all things, not to understand!  

So, I have to say "Siri, call DH - DH" for some reason she CAN understand if I say it twice.

Guess it's my southern accent.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I use ok google and so far she is very smart.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problems with Alexa at all.  I love it - very convenient and helpful.  I got the Dot as a gift, totally out of the blue.  I had no interest previously, but now I use it every day, several times a day.  No issues ever.

Trusted Contributor

Don't like mine at all.  She can never answer anything.  I have given up and shoved her in a closet.

Respected Contributor

If it makes you feel any better @Annabellethecat66, DH bought the dumb Suri.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I have no problems with Alexa at all.  I love it - very convenient and helpful.  I got the Dot as a gift, totally out of the blue.  I had no interest previously, but now I use it every day, several times a day.  No issues ever.

Now that you no longer have to enable a skill on Alexa, I use it a lot more. But just because you don't need to enable a skill doesn't mean you don't need to pay any attention to the way you need to phrase your question, because much of Alexa's info comes from different companies, not one single information source.

My guess is that no longer needing to enable specific Alexa abilities will make it easier for Amazon going forward to have Alexa be more human-logic-intuitive, as Google Home was designed to be out of the gate.

You were given one as a gift, it wasn't a purchase you researched or decided on, yet you still clearly understand how it works and what it needs to be used to potential. What surprises me is how many have not bothered to do the basic reading on how Alexa works and then complain it's dumb, stupid, doesn't do what they want it to, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

To everyone, thanks for your responses.  I enjoyed reading them.

I gave one to my daughter and she NEVER has trouble with her's (like some of you).  I think I'm beginning to develop a complex (i.e. about my speech pattern).  I've always lived in Va but been told by some I have a very pronounced Southern accent.  I know I don't.

I'm friends with @ECBG.  She and I talk often and I asked her.  I think she said no.

Someone mentioned it coming on out of the blue near the TV.  Mine does that sometimes.  It's one of the few times (without hurting someone's feelings) I can say, "Shut up".  Ha!  We are taught as children to never say, "Shut up".  I have to say I enjoy it....Hummm???  I think I'm being immature, but it is fun sometimes....

It is good for the weather.  I like to listen to XM Radio on my IPHONE but haven't tried it on Siri.  Have any of you set up Siri to listen to XM Satellite radio?