Trusted Contributor

How Are Students with Special Needs being Educated?

As a retired teacher of children with special needs, I am wondering how students with Individual Education Plans are being educated when it is all done virtually.  I think about the modifications and accommodations, reteaching, and other interventions I did for students it makes me wonder how that is being done now.

I just hope this pandemic gets under control and the economic impacts and educational impacts lessen.  This is a serious virus and needs to be thought of in that way.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Are Students with Special Needs being Educated?

I think for most parents homeschooling is a challenge. Special needs even more so. Hopefully they have an online or something support system.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@wismiss .....................my daughter is a special ed teacher.  With the help of their parents she has class time via the internet daily.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

My son is a teacher. Not special needs students. Right now it is still very much hit or miss, according to him.

Honored Contributor

In the city of Philadelphia, online schooling was cancelled at the beginning when schools first closed.  The reason is because "online schooling" was discriminating to students who have no computers and/or access to the internet.  More than 1/2 of students this applies to.

The stimulus $$$$ coming Phillly's way will make sure EVERY student has laptops & internet access.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DD and I were just talking about this issue.  She is a speech therapist.  She, too, was wondering...how to do her job without one on one/face to face connection.  Computers may not be enough.

Her kids are not just speech impaired, but many have combined special needs.  She will be relying greatly on the parents' assistance and that will be a 'hit or miss'. Her school district speech dept was still trying to figure out the 'online' speech therapy procedure.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss -

Thank you for your thoughtful post. It reminds me to call some friends who have 2 autistic twins. They also have 

1 older girl who is wonderful with them and her younger sister. The parents are incredible.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My sister is a special needs teacher.  She works in a school that has ONLY special needs children.  She has been at home and not working except to update records, etc.

So far, these students are home and are not getting any education from the teachers.

Our regular schools are not having lessons either.  Not every student has internet at home, though, most of the schools do provide IPads for school and home use.  

My granddaughter told me yesterday that her school district is looking to provide and pay for internet service for students who do not have access. I don't know how soon.

Super Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

As a retired teacher of children with special needs, I am wondering how students with Individual Education Plans are being educated when it is all done virtually.  I think about the modifications and accommodations, reteaching, and other interventions I did for students it makes me wonder how that is being done now.

I just hope this pandemic gets under control and the economic impacts and educational impacts lessen.  This is a serious virus and needs to be thought of in that way.

Hi @wismiss...my son has special needs and requires Speech, OT and PT.  His level of functioning may be too low to benefit from computer aided Speech therapy but his therapist said they are looking into it.  He attends a Dayhab but they have been closed for 2 weeks.  I'm so concerned about him regressing but we work with him at home the best we can.  Thank you for thinking of our "special kids" and thank you for your years of service teaching them.  My hat is off to you and all those special needs teachers.  You are our angels💓  Reva

Esteemed Contributor

One of our grands is Autistic.  Mommy is keeping him on a schedule daily.  Yesterday the IU began online video classes with the teacher, aides, and the kiddos from the class.  They do regular schoolwork from 9-12 each day.  After the lunch break, there are one on one sessions for each student with a support aid.  

It's a stressful time for all parents.  Trying to keep students up to date with schoolwork is a challenge.   Being organized certainly helps.