Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Are Students with Special Needs being Educated?

I've participated in three IEP meetings this past week. They were all done using Zoom audio conferences.

I post all of my lessons online.  Everything I do has a read aloud component whether through online textbooks or me reading it and posting an audio recording. 

I'm available every day for live chats with students using the Zoom audio and video conferences.  I've had as many as 70 students join at the same time. (I normally teach 145 on a regular school day.) Lately, I've done Zoom meetings by class, so the groups are more like 20-30 students.

I teach two Inclusion classes, and the special education teacher and I check in with IEP students each day. She holds small group Zoom conferences with them, and I'm also available if they need help through conference or messaging or phone call. I'm on my computer all day creating & posting new content and interacting with students. 

Each day I fill out a spreadsheet to check off whether or not IEP students were logged in for e-learning and whether or not I provided accommodations.  Parents have checked off to ensure they are providing preferential seating as needed. The spreadsheet gets submitted on Fridays and the head of special services checks in with students as needed. Each week my principal went to several IEP students' homes to check on them and deliver/collect materials.

Thank you for your service @wismiss. I am open to any suggestions. 

Trusted Contributor

In my county, they are not. 

In fact, no one is unless the parents are setting up a system for their child. As per the County Executive, children who don't have online technology, children who don't speak English and children with Special Needs are out of luck once the county DOES begin online instruction. So, yes, it's up to the parents to educate their children.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

My DD and I were just talking about this issue.  She is a speech therapist.  She, too, was wondering...how to do her job without one on one/face to face connection.  Computers may not be enough.

Her kids are not just speech impaired, but many have combined special needs.  She will be relying greatly on the parents' assistance and that will be a 'hit or miss'. Her school district speech dept was still trying to figure out the 'online' speech therapy procedure.
      PS - meant to add...my DD's kids are mostly very young....preschool thru young elementary ages....

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

My DD and I were just talking about this issue.  She is a speech therapist.  She, too, was wondering...how to do her job without one on one/face to face connection.  Computers may not be enough.

Her kids are not just speech impaired, but many have combined special needs.  She will be relying greatly on the parents' assistance and that will be a 'hit or miss'. Her school district speech dept was still trying to figure out the 'online' speech therapy procedure.

I am also a speech/language pathologist.  I mostly evaluate preschool students to determine if they are eligible for special education services but during this crisis I will be providing therapy services through telepractice for other SLPs who need help providing telepractice for all the students on their caseload.  I have spent the last few days learning the Zoom platform and different ways to provide telepractice.  I can imagine that it will not be easy to serve every student but I am confident that we will still be able to address IEP goals. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've participated in three IEP meetings this past week. They were all done using Zoom audio conferences.

I post all of my lessons online.  Everything I do has a read aloud component whether through online textbooks or me reading it and posting an audio recording. 

I'm available every day for live chats with students using the Zoom audio and video conferences.  I've had as many as 70 students join at the same time. (I normally teach 145 on a regular school day.) Lately, I've done Zoom meetings by class, so the groups are more like 20-30 students.

I teach two Inclusion classes, and the special education teacher and I check in with IEP students each day. She holds small group Zoom conferences with them, and I'm also available if they need help through conference or messaging or phone call. I'm on my computer all day creating & posting new content and interacting with students. 

Each day I fill out a spreadsheet to check off whether or not IEP students were logged in for e-learning and whether or not I provided accommodations.  Parents have checked off to ensure they are providing preferential seating as needed. The spreadsheet gets submitted on Fridays and the head of special services checks in with students as needed. Each week my principal went to several IEP students' homes to check on them and deliver/collect materials.

Thank you for your service @wismiss. I am open to any suggestions. 

@wildcat fan 

As a former spec.ed. teacher (many years ago), I just wanted to say that this sounds like a wonderful program.  It seems to be very well thought out and well executed.  Thanks for your efforts in behalf of these kids.Heart

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss  Thank you for your thoughtful post! My DIL is working with 5 children at home right now (my son is still working) One of my granddaughters was born with Williams Syndrome, Osteopetrosis and Autism. She is also blind. She skypes every day with her teacher from the school for blind children. You should see her face when she gets that call! Also, her older siblings are helping her with her PT. Right now, she is learning to stand without using a cane for balance. She's 5 years old, and I'm sure she is losing some ground by not going to school, but her teachers (at school and at home) are the best and are helping her as much as they can.

Honored Contributor

My oldest daughter is a Special Education teacher to a handful of students.   She is in touch with each of them, and their parents, every single day; holds online class several days a week, and the kids are given homework assignments, which she can check online.   She is still teaching her students.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan, I am very impressed with what you are doing while on hiatus from a brick and mortar school building.  And, for those parents/grandparents with children with special needs, it sounds like there is a whole range of services----from none (makes me very upset) to some really special and innovative teaching.   It also sounds like there are some pretty special parents out there that are doing as much as they can so their child with special needs does not regress.   Thank you, also, for the kind words from many of you.  I set up the early childhood special needs program in my school district.  I also taught at the elementary, middle school, and high school levels with special needs students before I retired.  I taught inclusion and also taught instructional science.  I miss teaching---the kids---but don't miss all the paperwork.

Thank you, posters, for all your responses.  Children with special needs need advocates.  And, it sounds like there are some here.  Yeah!!!FREE cheer sillohette clip art black and white | Cheerleader clip ...

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Daughter is special needs teacher. Not a lot being done regarding learning, but she does check in with parents and students who use media. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I am in touch with several special needs teachers as well as the parents of some of my former AU students. They are meeting via zoom and other methods. Since every kid is different and gets individualized instruction, it is a real challenge to say the least. One teacher took a huge stack of worksheets and books to one students home because the mother has no access to the internet. Those LD students who were mainstreamed are having the gen ed lessons modified by the special ed teacher and she is sending it out using the same platform.Lots of it depends on the age and functioning of the student. Attempts being made to follow the IEP but the law will have to waive much of the FAPE guidelines due to this extraordinary situation.