Respected Contributor

If I bought those for my kids I would require them to wear bubble wrap

Honored Contributor

My husband just purchased the Skagway from Evine, hasn't used it yet, because he needs to buy a helmet and knee pads, but I hadn't heard about the fires.......I will have to tell him about it and research this further, he may be returning his!!!!!!!  

Respected Contributor

I bought one for my 17 year old grandson.  Hes very athletic, skis, snowboards etc..I have no problem with him using it with protective gear.  However, dont know what to do with this fire issue.  I did buy the Skagway and it has a Samsung battery and is UL listed.  I still am not sure.  They never say on tv what models are the ones with the issues.  Supposedly, its the knockoffs but no one has mentioned a brand name which is nuts because its such a popular gift this year.

Respected Contributor

Have seen many at O'Hare, with the crowds there, it's a nightmare, waiting for them to be banned at airports due to this factor, but the fire problem is even worse, but they also sell them there so who knows?

Esteemed Contributor

Oh I predict people are returning these hoverboards to stores, websites, shopping channels regardless of who the company is.  I would.  They are not safe.

Honored Contributor

@Just4Me wrote:

I have seen the horrible fires caused by these items.  They appear dangerous.  Overstock has stopped selling them.  Another shopping channel is pushing them like the hottest item (which it may be).  Will you have one under the tree or have you bought one OR have you returned it due to the issues with them>even before giving the gift?

I just heard an expose on this. There are a few companies in the US and the UK that make these and they are safe. the ones that are catching on fire are the ones made in China and a few other companies that are selling them for much cheaper. If you got one that is pretty cheap, more than likely they are at risk for fire. The reason the others made in the US and UK are more expensive is because they are using better and more safe parts. It is the cheap parts/wiring that is causing these fires.

This is one case where finding these at a discount is most likely NOT the "deal" they may seem and may, in fact, cause harm.

Frequent Contributor

Just heard that you should never leave them unattended while they are charging.  So, pull up a chair, couch or table and stay around til it's fully charged.  

Respected Contributor

David Muir did a short segment last night on these. It showed one at a mall kiosk catching on fire right there and someone ran out with  fire extinguisher and put it out. Definitely must be the  cheap ones. Make sure it is UL listed, wouldn't be enough for me. One lady has blamed her entire house burning down because of the battery catching on fire. Ellen gave them to her whole audience one day in her 12 days of giveaways.

I don;t think getting hurt is the issue as much as the battery catching on fire.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

My son in law got one, uses it when he takes the baby for stroller walks. Loves it, but he also said it is the cheap ones with cheap battteries that are the problem, not Swagway. Swagway use quality Samsung batteries.

Honored Contributor

My 8 year old niece saved up and bought one about a month ago.  Haven't seen it person but so far I have not heard of any flames at my sister's house.