Esteemed Contributor

Re: Houses Under Construction

When we built our home about 20 years ago there was no fencing required around the property.   It is the builder's responsibility to insure the property while under his license.

We actually had some of the construction guys bringing their wives and kids to the house while being built to show off their work.  I found that to be odd and I wasn't too happy about it either.  You're spending a ton of money to have it built and you really don't need people in the house or on the property just being nosey.   We found a pile of stones on a newly put in maple wood floor,  I had smoke coming out of my ears!

Trusted Contributor

My Daddy and I would go through homes being built when it was just framework. He was an engineer and it fascinated him. We were NEVER to go near them unless he was with us/me. It was always on a Sunday afternoon/evening and he would comment on how the construction was (good, bad, awful, dangerous), the wiring, etc. I learned quite a bit about the "guts" of construction. I remember he commented on how poorly the foundation/basement was poured. He said "that house is going to have an issue with water in the basement every time it rains". I asked him how he knew. He would then point out the grading of the land, the uneveness of the base, how the walls were not straight, etc. Sure enough, the house had major flooding issues all the time when it rained. They paid a LOT of money to regrade, to seal, etc and still, there were always issues. 

I had heard about a group of people who didn't want farmland being turned into McMansions so they'd allow their cows out over the weekend to poo and destroy stuff. Some rode their horses into the houses and they'd poop and then ride them out. 

Graffiti happens a lot when the walls go up. There isn't a door so you can walk right in. People who are having homes built have complained on our Facebook page about it.

I kinda expect it to happen but then again, I've never purchased a brand new home so it's not on my list of concerns. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

To answer your question, yes as a kid we did explore new builds but it wasn’t a common occurrence since I don’t recall as many houses being built back then.  I still like to view new builds but as an adult I don’t do it without being invited. 

If I were having a house built and saw that kids had been in it I probably would discuss it with the builder since I feel like he would have had experience dealing with this. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

What do you think?

Did you ever explore a house under construction as a kid?

Were you ever building a house and found out that others had been inside of your house?  

@lolakimono - Sure I did! But it was a different time. I know now it probably wasn't a smart thing to do, but as kids we never thought about that. I'm not even sure our moms knew what we were up to!  Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

My Daddy and I would go through homes being built when it was just framework. He was an engineer and it fascinated him. We were NEVER to go near them unless he was with us/me. It was always on a Sunday afternoon/evening and he would comment on how the construction was (good, bad, awful, dangerous), the wiring, etc. I learned quite a bit about the "guts" of construction. I remember he commented on how poorly the foundation/basement was poured. He said "that house is going to have an issue with water in the basement every time it rains". I asked him how he knew. He would then point out the grading of the land, the uneveness of the base, how the walls were not straight, etc. Sure enough, the house had major flooding issues all the time when it rained. They paid a LOT of money to regrade, to seal, etc and still, there were always issues. 

I had heard about a group of people who didn't want farmland being turned into McMansions so they'd allow their cows out over the weekend to poo and destroy stuff. Some rode their horses into the houses and they'd poop and then ride them out. 

Graffiti happens a lot when the walls go up. There isn't a door so you can walk right in. People who are having homes built have complained on our Facebook page about it.

I kinda expect it to happen but then again, I've never purchased a brand new home so it's not on my list of concerns. 

@FiddleDeeDee In my experience, you can ride a horse anywhere but you can't make him poop (or not as the case may be).  You'd have to bring it with you pre-distributed. Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a new production home (pre-construction) and yes, we walked in one day prior to closing and found a pile of chicken bones and muddy footprints on the carpet.

There was no sign of it when we moved in.  I don't think I was terribly concerned at the time but I did make a mental note to look closely during the final walk-through.

There are new homes being built around me but I don't consider it right to trespass.  (I'm not out to report interlopers, unless I see smoke or something!). I do remember playing around in the foundation of a house being built next door when I was a kid.

But now that I think about it, sometimes what the builder does (and tries to cover up) is far worse than a casual, curious drop in.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I admit that I did.  I moved into a new development when I was 11 and a lot of houses were under construction when we moved in.  My friend and I went "exploring" though we only looked.  Of course now I realize just how dangerous it was as an adult.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Isn't construction fencing required for new builds?  

@Bri369 Not in the develpment that I moved into as a kid in NJ (1965) or as an adult in PA when me moved here in the early 1990s.

Maybe it's required in some states.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono 

As a kid?  No, grew up in Public Housing Projects.

We had 2 townhouses built to our specs. If they did it wasn't visible. However my wife and I did walk around our neighborhood and go into houses under construction that were not closed. Her idea not mine. She can see the finished product from the beginning, I see nothing until drywall is put up.

Against the law? The contractors worked with my sister, as a real estate broker, on all new builds in this new complex. She said it was fine to look at them until they are enclosed.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

We already owned our acreage before we started to build our home.  I guess the argument could be made that since we owned the land, if someone had trespassed and gotten hurt, we could've been liable.  

Yes, folks aren't supposed to trespass.  But if you don't have signs up that say No Trespassing, or fence the lot, the situation isn't as clear cut if you wind up in court.

My siblings and I own 90 acres from our parents.  We must post No Trespassing signs especially before hunting season.  If the signs aren't up and someone goes on our property and has an accident, that opens us up for possible litigation and you never know how much sympathy jurors might have if someone gets seriously hurt or killed. We also have an insurance policy to cover this kind of thing just in case.

We live in an Age of Liability. It's better to be protected.