Honored Contributor

Re: Househunting Is Drivng Me Batty!

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I feel your pain, we had our house on the market several times....and could not sell, while homes we were interested in sold to some one else.  I am destined to die in this house, which is nice, well cared for but I want to move to something smaller. We have lived here 30+years, it's time!!  When I ask people 'who do you know has lived in the same house for over thirty years"?  they say their grandparents, ugh, that's me!! 

If we would sell low we could sell tomorrow, but we cannot afford to do that.  Good luck!

A house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if you are getting low offers you should reevaluate the price you have it listed for. Just because you need more money doesn't mean the house will sell for more.

Esteemed Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

I looked at a condo today.  It had everything on my checklist and hubby's.  It's large, great neighborhood, top floor and loft.  I made an offer.

I'm wasn't excited because it isn't FHA approved, which means we would need to do 20% for the downpayment, according to my credit union.

Luckily, based on the nightmarish house hunts of the past, I knew which lender to go to.  I called them up and not only did he say "We definitely can help you," but they have current financing in that complex.

My offer gets submitted on Monday.  Maybe I will get excited then!

Good luck, Honny!  The condo sounds sharp!

Esteemed Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

We have been searching for a house for over a year.  Offers have been made, realtors have been fired, dozens of preapprovals and still nothing.

One house we both fell in love with, the mortgage company took so long with the paperwork, the sellers sold it to someone else.

We've increased our price, looked in different areas, got a better realtor, took some things off of our wish list and still nothing.

DH keeps telling me that the right home will come along when it's time, but geez!

Househunting Is Drivng Me Batty!

If "hunting" is doing this to you, I can't imagine what selling a house would do.

My sis was a real estate agent and broker for about 45 years and buying and/or selling depends many times on the agents you pick to do the job.

Buying a house in the era of time should be easier than in decades past. They are back to loaning money to people that cannot even meet the standards(same thing that decreased our property value by 1/3).

If you are "pre-certified" to buy a home for X amount of $$$$$, that is even another step towards the better for you.

When we started looking for our present home we were "pre-certified" and we looked at about 5 houses. My sis being our agent of course. We decided/put in our bid the next day. One other bid had been put in for a higher amount.

As it turned out, the owner of our present home knew me from auto racing years ago. He told me sis it was ok for me to call him. Talked with him about "old times" and how much we wanted the home.

Our biggest problem? Selling our Townhome before our loan guarantee ran out and the date we signed to take over our present home. Buying was the easy part/keeping our Townhome looking like nobody lived in it was a whole different matter.

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Good luck, Honny!  The condo sounds sharp!

Thanks collie!  It is gorgeous!  A tenant is in it now, and she has it painted in warm colors.  The kitchen is a nice size with granite counters and stainless appliances.  The balcony overlooks trees and a bike bath.  The master bedroom is huge.  The tenant has a king bed and a sofa, with room to spare.  It's nice!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

If "hunting" is doing this to you, I can't imagine what selling a house would do.

My sis was a real estate agent and broker for about 45 years and buying and/or selling depends many times on the agents you pick to do the job.

Buying a house in the era of time should be easier than in decades past. They are back to loaning money to people that cannot even meet the standards(same thing that decreased our property value by 1/3).

If you are "pre-certified" to buy a home for X amount of $$$$$, that is even another step towards the better for you.

When we started looking for our present home we were "pre-certified" and we looked at about 5 houses. My sis being our agent of course. We decided/put in our bid the next day. One other bid had been put in for a higher amount.

As it turned out, the owner of our present home knew me from auto racing years ago. He told me sis it was ok for me to call him. Talked with him about "old times" and how much we wanted the home.

Our biggest problem? Selling our Townhome before our loan guarantee ran out and the date we signed to take over our present home. Buying was the easy part/keeping our Townhome looking like nobody lived in it was a whole different matter.

Hi John!  Since we went through the dog and pony show last year, I made sure to keep our prequalifications current.  The condo is on the market for a little more than half of what we are prequalified for, so that's really good.  The PITI will be less than what we pay in rent and we will get a tax break.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I feel your pain, we had our house on the market several times....and could not sell, while homes we were interested in sold to some one else.  I am destined to die in this house, which is nice, well cared for but I want to move to something smaller. We have lived here 30+years, it's time!!  When I ask people 'who do you know has lived in the same house for over thirty years"?  they say their grandparents, ugh, that's me!! 

If we would sell low we could sell tomorrow, but we cannot afford to do that.  Good luck!

momtodogs, hi!  30 years is awesome! 

Honored Contributor

..We don't NEED more money, we are unwilling to give the house away....there are a lot of extras in this house that other homes in the neighbor hood do not have....everyone wants to lowball, we won't play that game and I realize that means we are stuck here.

Respected Contributor

Hello, HonnyBrown. Smiley Happy

Sounds like searching for the right house is a pain. Hope you find a nice one.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

..We don't NEED more money, we are unwilling to give the house away....there are a lot of extras in this house that other homes in the neighbor hood do not have....everyone wants to lowball, we won't play that game and I realize that means we are stuck here.

A  house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you are finding buyers but they don't want to pay what you think the house is worth - you have it overpriced. Either get over it and make up your mind to just stay there or lower the price. It's not a "game" - simply the way the housing market is. The harsh reality is  the house is not worth what you think it is.