Esteemed Contributor

Re: Household cleaning products

@CelticCrafter wrote:

After all these weeks I don't understand what people are cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting.

Yes, I know that there are still some people that need to go out to work every day but there isn't a lot of stores open and how are the germs getting in the house if nothing is coming in and no one is having visitors.

I have a feeling many people and their families are going to be suffering from breathing and lung problems from inhaling all these toxioc cleaning products. 

Respected Contributor

Hydrogen peroxide kills the coronavirus, so I've read, so I put it in a spray bottle (not diluted) and spray paper towels and use them like wipes.  Works great and not expensive.  Best of all, I've had these supplies in the house for a while now.

As to the post about steam -- just guessing, I'm not very knowledgeable about this specifically -- but I'm guessing there is a certain temperature that the steam needs to be to kill it.

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood    Water boils at 212°.  That's the temperature needed to make steam and will kill the virus.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Ok they say heat & light kills it so I live in Az today 100 next week maybe 104 so we should be good ultra rays  yeah right. We need more info which none have. some say bleach is good others say just soap will do the same. who knows. I am cleaning so much using lysol but good cleaning, took cabinets cleaned it out & reorganized. My neighbors many times have family & friends over for bbq like nothing is going on. Why am I the only one scared to get groceries (once a week) Some just live their life some no contact. 

Respected Contributor

If you need to disinfect something quickly alcohol is the best. I like the idea of steam too, it is very effective.

I rearly use Lysol for my house cleaning, except the kitchen sink, showers and toilets. 

I love more natural things like baking soda and vinegar.

Trusted Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Ok they say heat & light kills it so I live in Az today 100 next week maybe 104 so we should be good ultra rays  yeah right. We need more info which none have. some say bleach is good others say just soap will do the same. who knows. I am cleaning so much using lysol but good cleaning, took cabinets cleaned it out & reorganized. My neighbors many times have family & friends over for bbq like nothing is going on. Why am I the only one scared to get groceries (once a week) Some just live their life some no contact. 

@sissel You know how there's a Hepatitus A, B, C, and now I think we've got more?

It's liike that with ultraviolet light.  The 'good' UV is the 'C' UV, which is very, very, BAD for people.  ROFL.

As for hunkering down or not, I'm very interested in what makes people able to do it.  There are some people who should be in 7th heaven in a way right now.  They expected a catastrophe some day, they prepared for it.  And yet, here it is and they can't stay home!!!!  

I can't go four days without going out, and for me that means a tiny elevator, tiny lobbies, lots of people around.  Still too difficult to do.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

After all these weeks I don't understand what people are cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting.

Yes, I know that there are still some people that need to go out to work every day but there isn't a lot of stores open and how are the germs getting in the house if nothing is coming in and no one is having visitors.

My mom lives alone and I try to only be in her home once every few weeks to prepare her medication and pay her bills, So technically she is at the very lowest risk, as I do her shopping, sanitize the items before she takes them in. I pick up her garbage so she doesn't have to handle the trash can after the trash people collect. But she does get her own mail, lets it sit on a porch for a day before opening, and takes in her own packages to the front porch and leaves them sit for a day before opening. 

Even though that is the bulk of her interaction, she should still be sanitizing after getting the mail and packages in and touching the door handles, faucets etc. then again after she opens those things a day or two later, and of course when I come in and leave. 

I don't think a lot of people realize how many people's lives are no different than before this (as far as working and going outside the home). Most every one I know is still working, and everyone in my immediate family is still going out to their jobs as secondary essential workers. 

I'm sanitizing like crazy, because my husband is out in the workplace daily (UPS), and comes in contact with lots of people who are in contact with lots of other people. UPS drivers don't just drop and run, many are in businesses for large pickups, and all employees are exposed to packages from all over the world. 

I have friends who are still working, ordering food every day from restaurants, and going into many stores every day because they are bored, just to get out. I was in the grocery last week, and I couldn't believe the number of kids and babies, no face coverings, running all over. So even a trip to the store is a chance to bring the virus home. The first few weeks of our stay at home order the roads and the few open places were dead (except for groceries), and with each passing week, I see more and more people out and about. 

Because of these things, I believe sanitizing and disinfecting are more important now, and will be more so as they start to ease restrictions and people get back to a more normal existence and mixing together even more. 

Honored Contributor

I read an article that said the components in the wipes or at least some of them come from China and another reason we are out of them at the moment. 

Another thing we have to look at getting back in the country. 

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

@sissel, please listen only to experts. And please don't think that UV from the sun will do anything other than damage your skin after a short period of time. And please, please, under no circumstances use bleach for anything other than disinfecting surfaces -- personally I prefer disinfectants without bleach, but just stay safe and ignore unfounded musing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  I agree so many different stories with virus, yes this heat will not kill it and  not confident with all the disinfected cleaners either. Seems this week we may see a few openings but still not confident so I will boss myself.